First time closing with heater and hard plumbing

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
Just a few quick questions:

1 - I drained the pool, removed the hose from the skimmer, then disconnect the return pipe, at the base of the pool where the elbow is. Should I:
A- remove the O'ring and store for the winter?
B - if I remove the o'ring, or not, should I leave the pipe unattached, or reconnect it for the winter?
C - grease the o'rings? If so, what should I use?

2 - I drained the heater. I disconnected the outlet pipe, removed the drain plug, and after the water drained I then used a turbo leaf blower to blow directly into the inlet and push any remaining water. Again, should I remove the o'rings? Should I reconnect the pipe to the heater?

3 - In the instructions for the Raypak, it says to remove the heat exchanger panel opposite of the piping and remove the drain plug on the return header. That panel has 7 screws and doesn't appear, to me, to be a regular maintenance item. I haven't removed the panel. There is another panel, on the front of the unit, that has one screw, which is slotted for a screw drive, and knurled for easy hand turning. I removed that, but it's mostly just the guts of the unit. I was in a bit of rush, maybe I need to look in there again for the header. Not sure what to do at this point. Honestly, it's part laziness and part that some of the screws on the exchange access panel already look like they were worked over with a power driver on installation. Once I take them out, I'll be looking for new screws, blah, blah, blah. Thoughts?

4 - Cover the heater? I was thinking with a gas grill cover. I cover my sand filter and pump with one and it does a nice job. On one hand, it keeps debris, snow, etc. off of the heater. On the other hand, will the winter sun cause condensation under the cover?

Most don't remove the o rings but if you have a safe place to store them go ahead. I use sil glyde on my o rings but pool stores sell thinner silicone based lubricants.

All drain plugs need to be removed from the heater, pump, and filter.

I don't recommend covering equipment. In my experience is creates a better home for critters. And if I would have covered my heater I wouldn't have caught the mouse that was moving into my heater this past weekend.

Thanks. Critters is why I'm hesitant to leave the drain plugs out. I can just see a load of ants moving into the filter. Fact is, the guys who installed the liner think ants might have caused the tear, but burrowing out the sand underneath the edge of the pool. We're supposed to have a mild winter, which will make matters even worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.