Dan Morrill

Jun 8, 2020
London Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First year closing. Feeling confident with everything, except my plan for the skimmer and main drain. I have a combo skimmer: the main drain is a second hole in the skimmer, and not plumbed to the pump.

I am planning on using a Gizzmo, and my main drain hole is the only one that is threaded, so it will have to go into that hole. I think this means I will have a problem trying to create an air lock in this line because it will take to long to get the Gizzmo in place compared to a plug.

So here are the two options I am debating:

1. Simply shove a foam rope down the main drain hole and then screw in the Gizzmo.

2. Poor antifreeze down the main drain hole first, then shove in the foam rope and screw in the Gizzmo.

So, do I need the antifreeze option here? Or do you think I could create an air lock even with a Gizzmo

To get an air lock you are going to have to be VERY fast. I say impossible and IF you think you have one you are kidding yourself. Just pushing the foam rope down is trick enough and keeping it there to get the plug / gizmo in. Use at least 3 feet, no antifreeze.
For the other hole going to your pump you can use an expandable plug with a wing nut on it, funny there is not threads on that line ! Be sure to blow / suck all the water from the line, you'll need to drain below the skimmer mouth first, add anti freeze and put in the plug. Completely fill the skimmer body with pool noodle pieces leaving as little air spacing as possible. Also do the mouth and have the pieces long enough to come in and down into the body or they will float out when the water raises. I always then drop in a gallon of antifreeze but thats just for my mind as the water from the pool will rise and mix in and make it useless anyway.

Thanks Sammy. Did it over the weekend. Basically did as you suggested. Put a bit of antifreeze down the main drain line too though. Along with foam rope and the Gizmo. Suction hole got blown out, antifreeze, and an expansion plug. Anti freeze and some more foam in the skimmer.

Do I really need to be that crazy about filling the skimmer with foam? I figured the Gizmo should have been enough, and I added antifreeze just for some extra. Should I do more?

If water gets in the skimmer body it will freeze and expand as you know. My thinking is the less water the better. Skimmer with an air filled gizmo and maybe 2 gallons of water is less protection then a stuffed skimmer with foam where only a few cup fulls of water has room to sit ? That plastic in the skimmer will not take much expansion before it cracks. $6 to $8 makes it a no brainer fer me. Cracker shimmer can run over a thousand dollars real quick on an inground pool.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.