First time closing my pool

jaspers95

Aug 1, 2019
Long Island, NY
I would like some help closing my pool myself for first time. I was able to open it this year with the great help on this site so I think I'm up for closing it with your help.as well. Maybe there is already a link to summarize what needs to be done but Not sure it covers everything needed for my pool.

The pool.company I used in past usually disconnects the pump, SWCG , and d/e filter and stores them in shed but I'm not sure what steps they take in the process - cleaning lines filter etc...

I'm looking for basic order of how to do things and then I could follow up with further questIons.

Thanks

You should probably start with the link below then let us know if anything doesn't make sense to you. Most everything is captured there. If not, we'll be glad to help.

Thanks. The steps say to Pump the water down till it is about four inches below the bottom of the returns. My pool company usually had the water just below the skimmers and a couple.of inches above the returns. Do I need to drain it that low? If I keep it above the returns how do I blow out the lines?

The amount of water lowered often times is driven by the cover used (if applicable) to support projected snowfall or ice accumulations. I suspect those in your local area take that into consideration. If you do keep the water above the return jets, you'll need to use specific plugs such as duck or bungee plugs designed to let water blow "outwards" but not get back in. You can see those in the link below.

For my pool I was told by the builder not drain below the skimmer. I drain enough
to blow out my skimmer plug (gizzmo with blow out tube). After that I use a vacuum
I remove the return line eyes and use a screw in plug to seal my lines. I so them
one at a time until they are all done. Last year was my first year closing. The water
was 48 F. Pretty cold. Then I blow out the skimmer and the main drains. In the skimmer
I also add a another bottle for better protection.

-Bigpaws

We hired a company to close for us since we are pool newbies. He did not take the water down below the returns, he said just as long as it's below the skimmer, which ours was. He backwashed the sand filter, took out the plug to let it drain, same with pump - took out the plugs. He said some people cover their pump but it's not necessary. They blew out the lines, put caps over the returns, and put the Gizzmo in the skimmer. They put the mesh safety cover on it and they were done. Took 45 minutes tops, start to finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.