First time closing: Do I need to purchase "winterization chemicals"?

bostonpool

May 29, 2017
Worcester, MA
We are closing our pool on MOnday. Our Pool Store guys are coming out to do it as I've never done it before.

They claim I need to purchase "Winterization chemicals" which include things like "Scale Inhibitors", etc.

I've got a 32,000 gallon Gunite pool and use a SWG. Have been using the Troublefree Pool method all season with no issues, other than perhaps I've let PH get a little to high now and then.

What are your thoughts on winterization chemicals? If you don't use them, what can I use in place?

The pool should be brought to shock levels a week before closing, give it a good vacuum, then close. I always add 1 lb mps plus. 1 jug of poly quat 60. IMO anything else they put in is a waste.

Most of us here on the forum do not use a winterizing kit. As chemnut mentioned, bring up to shock level and allow to drift back down. Use of PolyQuat 60 is optional, but I prefer it and recommend it. The algaecide will consume most of your chlorine if you do not allow the levels to come down. More importantly, open up early in the spring.

no issues, other than perhaps I've let PH get a little to high now and then.

SWG configurations most of the time, not always have rising PH issues as you have seen. You may have to lower your TA or shut off /minimize any aeration devices you may have in your pool. At a TA of around 70-90, my PH, even with the addition of the SWG in 2017 had steady PH. I even had rotating return jets that created aeration as well.

SWG configurations most of the time, not always have rising PH issues as you have seen. You may have to lower your TA or shut off /minimize any aeration devices you may have in your pool. At a TA of around 70-90, my PH, even with the addition of the SWG in 2017 had steady PH. I even had rotating return jets that created aeration as well.

My TA was 90 at the beginning of the season, and got down below 60 in early SEpt. I had to add Baking Soda to get it back up to 60. Regardless of where my TA was, my PH would rise weekly. I typically had to add 1-2 quarts of acid per week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.