First time cleaning filter on pool

wedward

Silver Supporter
Oct 20, 2018
McKinney, TX
I've been managing my pool chem thanks to TFP & a SLAM, but am not sure my filter is cleaning out the dead algae and dirt very well. Just moved here last Fall, so I have no idea how old the filters are. They look fairly clean to me, but I am unable to remove them, so would love to hear from folks who know - do these filters look very dirty and is it worth paying ~ $125 locally to have them cleaned? I had surgery on my dominate arm, so only can lift with one arm, which is why I can't just pull them and clean them. I'd rather pay once, watch the process and then take over when healthy.
ThanksPoolFilters.jpg

As a pool guy that cleans multiple filters every week, I'm not a big fan of Non-DE Cartridge filters. It takes a lot of water and time to clean them well. If you can, I recommend using Pleatco Filter Wash. It is probably very similar to a laundry detergent, but it appears to not have a lot of suds afterwards. I've been pre cleaning with high pressure and then soaking the cartridges in a trash container with the cleaner then high pressure hosing them off again.

I have thought about using a Laundry Detergent but am afraid that they might create suds, and I just can't risk that because I don't have the time for that. Maybe someone could chime in on their experience using Laundry Detergents.

If they are calcified you might need to give them a bath in a very light acid wash. Google acid washing cartridge filters.

DE filters are so much better IMHO. I also don't use DE anymore and have completely switched over a Perlite type media, which I feel works just as good and is even easier to clean off, and is not as bad for the environment.

This is extreme calcium but this video show the foaming that could happen if your cartridges are heavily calcified.
I don't agree with some of what this guys says. You only want to Acid Wash if there is Calcium buildup, no other reason. Acid Washing will deteriorate the cartridge.

If you keep good pool water chemistry you will not get Calcium buildup like this.

How about hiring a local neighborhood kid to help you to the lifting and cleaning?

Last edited:
Reactions: wedward
The cartridges aren't that bad. Just normal staining that makes them look grey. The important part is removing each one and spraying it from from top-to-bottom through the pleats. I like a fireman's nozzle on the end of my garden hose. Mine is a single cartridge though, but I believe once you pull that top manifold off you should be able to remove each cartridge one at a time. We have tons of Hayward 325/425 owners, so someone will confirm shortly. Shame about your arm. Been there and been frustrated with all the normal things we take for granted and have to do work-arounds until it heals. Hope things get better soon.

Reactions: wedward
$125 isn’t bad for someone to come tear down a filter and clean it. Around here I see the same service go for $200 or more (and I’m sure that includes a nice “hard sell” about how your filter indicates bad water chemistry and you need their magic filter chemical applied and you should be on their service route so you don't trash your filter again, blah, blah, blah...).

If your arm is out of commission for a brief period then pay someone else to be “the sweaty” for a day and get back to it next time when your arm is feeling better....well worth the price IMO....

The cartridges aren't that bad. Just normal staining that makes them look grey. The important part is removing each one and spraying it from from top-to-bottom through the pleats. I like a fireman's nozzle on the end of my garden hose. Mine is a single cartridge though, but I believe once you pull that top manifold off you should be able to remove each cartridge one at a time. We have tons of Hayward 325/425 owners, so someone will confirm shortly. Shame about your arm. Been there and been frustrated with all the normal things we take for granted and have to do work-arounds until it heals. Hope things get better soon.
Thanks - I think if I can get the top manifold off I should be able to spray off. I'll go slow and exercise the good arm today - thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.