First Time AGP Owner Worries

kossae

Feb 24, 2021
TN
Hey everyone. I've been reading these forums for the past couple of months, as we just had a new 30' AGP installed at our house over the winter months (Cypress LX Round Above Ground Pool Kit (Silver)).

I'm writing with a few questions that I hope someone could either confirm or ease the worries I have had since installed. Every person I have spoke to so far has told me I will be fine, but they also have an interest in getting the jobs done that I've hired them for (pool installer, deck builder, etc.), so I'm looking for a non-biased third-party opinion. I have attached pictures for reference.

1. Sloping/Erosion/etc.
As you can see in the pictures, there is a slope towards our home (natural hill that continues up the back side of the pool) which was cut into and leveled out for the pool. From watching the installers, they did everything correctly with sand placement and the excavation. My main fear here is the sort of 'man made' slope towards my house from the pool will erode, causing collapse and dumping thousands of gallons of water into my home (via window wells). I plan on moving the pavers shown in the pictures up around the pool in this area to hopefully prevent erosion, as well as placing river rock around the remaining edges of the pool. In your all's experience with AGPs and erosion, is this fear valid? We are building a pool deck as you can see, and it will actually be going over the window wells and connecting towards the AC unit with stairs out to the yard (extending out from the patio doors). I'm not sure if this helps or hurts the situation, but it will certainly make it harder to see soil erosion underneath. The deck builder said I can carve out access to the window wells down the road if I need to for additional light or to fully block them in down the road.

It's worth mentioning, we have permits on both the pool and deck, and everything has passed inspection there so I am hoping I'm just overly anxious.

2. Pool bowing in
The pool is a little over 1/2 full, and we're planning on filling it completely now that the weather is getting better here in TN. I noticed when walking around the back side, where the slope was cut into, at the bottom there is a small part of the pool that is pushing in a bit. I'm not sure if this is just due to lower water levels, or something else happening back there. Does anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks in advance for your all's advice. I can't wait until everything is done and I can start to enjoy this pool. For now it has just been a string of "what-ifs" trying to plan for worst case scenarios.

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 35
Welcome to Trouble Free Pools, Kossae :handwave:

I can't speak to the construction of the pool or deck, but with that shallow "hill" I would recommend putting in plants that spread well so that hopefully the roots help "hold" the hill in place.

I'm sure one of our folks more up on construction will be able to answer your questions.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: kossae
That bow in the bottom of the wall is because the ground is a little high in that area. It's really just going to be cosmetic. I wouldn't go tearing down the whole pool to shave that spot down. ANd for erosion control, you can do as YippeeSkippy suggested and plant around the hillside to control the erosion.

Reactions: kossae
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.