First time AGP installation - Bestway 12x24

Extremewx

May 24, 2020
Toms River, nj
Hi,

I've been reading through the threads here the past couple weeks and the knowledge I've gained is immense. I just purchased the bestway 12 x 24 rectangle pool to help my wife get through the summer with the kids through this pandemic. The area I'm attempting to intall is one where the original homeowner had one installed but it was taken down years ago and just have gravel dumped into the empty space.

I spent all day moving the gravel and aside thinking I'd have a nice level ground to just add a sand base and then the pool, but there appears to be Mason sand full of gravel underneath. Is it possible to get away by getting more sand and leveling over the old gravel and sand or do I have to start from scratch and clear it all first? How about putting pea gravel which gives a more solid base?

Any suggestions would be appreciated and I hope to continue once my back recovers, lol.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I just noticed your post from Sunday, but you may already have everything prepped and installed huh? Do you still have any questions?
Thanks for the welcome and response. I'm actually on day two of leveling and have discovered an uneven surface due to some areas being filled with Mason sand from the old pool and some areas have undisturbed soil, causing lots of high and low spots. I'm considering taking all the old gravel and mixing with the sand thus creating a solid level base and then adding either pea gravel or sand on top before completing with 1/2" foam boards. Been searching the forum but can't figure out if it's a bad idea or not (I do see for sloped ground people have backfilled). Here are some images of what I'm working with

Attachments

• 15911125350188452662272216638441.jpg
    15911125350188452662272216638441.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 15911125709361424552976165788890.jpg
    15911125709361424552976165788890.jpg
    800.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 15911125982301671073875550430079.jpg
    15911125982301671073875550430079.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 4
Geez, you have just a little bit of work going on there. Well, we always recommend digging down rather than trying to build "up" a low area. So do that if you can. But based on the previous product used in the soil, you may have to comprise in a few spots. Once you think you are close to level, I would recommend renting a vibrating plate compactor if you can. Anything to help press-down all the various materials you are using for a solid base. Once you do that, some good insulation pads would be a good idea. Maybe others will have a thought as well. Good luck. Keep the glass full and the aspirin nearby. :cheers:

Reactions: Extremewx
Geez, you have just a little bit of work going on there. Well, we always recommend digging down rather than trying to build "up" a low area. So do that if you can. But based on the previous product used in the soil, you may have to comprise in a few spots. Once you think you are close to level, I would recommend renting a vibrating plate compactor if you can. Anything to help press-down all the various materials you are using for a solid base. Once you do that, some good insulation pads would be a good idea. Maybe others will have a thought as well. Good luck. Keep the glass full and the aspirin nearby. :cheers:
My back will definitely not forgive me for a while lol. So basically jsut try to level out the high points and then spread gravel which should compact well into the low points? There's a frame around so it should prevent anything from shifting I'd think. The gravel does look like the trpe others have suggested using for backfill so it should work well? Thanks

Reactions: Texas Splash
I’m thinking a sandbox. Are the boards outlining the area for the frame, or left over from before?

If you search this forum for sandbox, you will see what I mean. Level as best you can, build sandbox frame large enough to contain pool, and fill with sand to provide a smooth layer.

You can also do a gorilla pad or something similar, but level first.

Reactions: Extremewx
I’m thinking a sandbox. Are the boards outlining the area for the frame, or left over from before?

If you search this forum for sandbox, you will see what I mean. Level as best you can, build sandbox frame large enough to contain pool, and fill with sand to provide a smooth layer.

You can also do a gorilla pad or something similar, but level first.
They're left over but most of the pieces are held strong the the few that aren't I can either replace or repair. Thanks for the sandbox suggestion and I'll look into it. I'm assuming it can be done with gravel then sand or foam on top as well?

Yep! I don’t use foam. I live in Florida, so my yard is relatively flat and very sandy. I leveled my dirt/sand, followed up with a tarp and then a gorilla pad, and then the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.