First thing is Trees must go.

Mayabbot

Aug 7, 2019
Medford Lakes, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Well work started on Valentines day with the trees coming down. We have a small yard but decided to go as big as comfortable with our pool. This process started out in July of last year and after 5 interviews, design and equipment changes we are on our way.

Attachments

• 60044924760__AF93BD49-EF51-4AE8-9253-EDF081579268.JPG
    60044924760__AF93BD49-EF51-4AE8-9253-EDF081579268.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 56
Your neighboring trees are still going to cause you headaches, but it's the best you can do.

Are those stumps getting ground down and burned out or removed??

Looks like a beautiful setting! Good call on the heater with a lot of shade. You may be a good candidate for running a VSP 24/7 to keep debris at bay. Especially during the April - November time period where trees drop all manner of stuff in your area. Running your pump as such may allow most debris to be captured by the skimmers before it sinks to the bottom. I don't suppose you are getting an autocover for that rectangle pool? Great option for your scenario (pool shape and woods).

If you can take a minute or two to create a signature with your pools vitals that will be very beneficial for responders to serve you best. You can use Matt and mine as examples of information to include.

I just pulled my cover yesterday and will re-install the pump this evening. 'Tis the season!

You should really wait before you take down too many trees. In our case at least, as the day wears on, the shady end of our pool is by far the most popular. Same with other pool owners we have contact with.

Looks like a beautiful setting! Good call on the heater with a lot of shade. You may be a good candidate for running a VSP 24/7 to keep debris at bay. Especially during the April - November time period where trees drop all manner of stuff in your area. Running your pump as such may allow most debris to be captured by the skimmers before it sinks to the bottom. I don't suppose you are getting an autocover for that rectangle pool? Great option for your scenario (pool shape and woods).

If you can take a minute or two to create a signature with your pools vitals that will be very beneficial for responders to serve you best. You can use Matt and mine as examples of information to include.

I just pulled my cover yesterday and will re-install the pump this evening. 'Tis the season!
You should really wait before you take down too many trees. In our case at least, as the day wears on, the shady end of our pool is by far the most popular. Same with other pool owners we have contact with.
No us, I want sun on my pool and my wife will not lay out when the shade comes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are some of the stats, 18 x 36 1.5 hp vsp pump 425 sq inch cartridge filter 400k ng heater (all Hayward) in line chlorination 2.0 inch valves and piping, 3 led color changing lights, 4 returns and 2 large mouth skimmers. I did not want a salt system since we dont like the way the water feels. I have provided a before pic of the trees in summer. Really happy with this builder and the mason, 2 good guys who do what they say they their going to do and best of all no up charges. one problem the liner does not quite fit and we should have the new one installed need week.60694573430__3666F404-25D5-4832-98C1-EA67AC01B6AE.JPGIMG_0843.JPGIMG_1859.jpg

Looking and sound good. So nice to have good subs. Looks like you had 4 minutes of sun per day before the trees went. I think you are the first person I’ve heard that didn’t like the SWG water feel. Glad you knew ahead of time. I can’t tell the feel honestly. I just taste it a little. Many don’t. If you plan to use the inline chlorinator full-time just watch your FC/CYA Levels ratio since your CYA will be changing constantly. Unless you are using cal-hypo pucks instead of trichlor. Just ask if you would like more info on that last sentence. It will be interesting to track your CYA as the season progresses. Or bleach to keep CYA steady.

Do you have aTest Kits Compared
Recommend test kit yet? I use the TF-100 with SpeedStir.

Looking and sound good. So nice to have good subs. Looks like you had 4 minutes of sun per day before the trees went. I think you are the first person I’ve heard that didn’t like the SWG water feel. Glad you knew ahead of time. I can’t tell the feel honestly. I just taste it a little. Many don’t. If you plan to use the inline chlorinator full-time just watch your FC/CYA Levels ratio since your CYA will be changing constantly. Unless you are using cal-hypo pucks instead of trichlor. Just ask if you would like more info on that last sentence. It will be interesting to track your CYA as the season progresses. Or bleach to keep CYA steady.

Do you have aTest Kits Compared
Recommend test kit yet? I use the TF-100 with SpeedStir.
I have always used basic chlorine pucks in the past is there something else I should be using.

I have always used basic chlorine pucks in the past is there something else I should be using.

It is very difficult to operate a pool just using trichlor (pucks) and keep the pool algae free and the water sanitary. Human comfort (eyes, skin) are also an issue.

Reactions: Mayabbot
The caveat for your scenario is that pools where they get closed and partially drained each winter, and get 20-30” of rain during the swim season, both of which serve to keep CYA (stabilizer) levels down, make puck use easier than other locations. But its still all bout maintaining a proper FC/CYA ratio.

It’s quite common for folks to be familiar with a pool care regimen that is (or can be) more expensive and less effective than the TFP approach of self testing and adding only what your pool needs, many of which are available outside of the pool store.

We won’t nag you on the subject but often times folks don’t realize common issues (sometimes not even recognized) don’t have to be tolerated.

Reactions: Mayabbot
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.