First test with TF Test Kit

xene97

LifeTime Supporter
I just got my new test kit in the mail today (thanks for the fast shipping!), so I immediately rushed out to perform my first test. Here are the numbers:
FC 9
TC 9
pH 7.8
TA 150
CH 310
CYA 72
Temp 81

I have an 18,000 gallon gunite pool with a DE filter that's on the fritz. I'm waiting for the Home Warranty people to replace it - anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks. The water looks clear for the most part - I'm hoping that the slight cloudiness is due to DE in the pool.

I know that the TA is a bit on the high side, but I'll leave the solution to that and everything else up to the gurus!

Thanks for the help in advance!

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
tftestkits.net
In a non-SWG pool, I'd like to see CYA in the 40-60 range....you're over that, obviously.

If it were my pool. I would stop using the pucks right away.

I would suggest you need to stick with Clorox or 10% pool chlorine for the rest of the summer.

xene97

LifeTime Supporter
Aargh! I was hoping you wouldn't say that...

Of course, I just purchased a brand new batch of chlorine.

But then again, it's better than doing a partial drain and refill like I had to do a couple of months ago. Back then, the CYA was up to 150.

Should I lower the TA?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
tftestkits.net
Yeah, the T/A and pH could both come down a little bit. I wouldn't put it on my top two things to do tomorrow but pH around 7.4 and 100 T/A is probably close to perfect if you want to fine tune.

Post back up if you've got questions on lowering T/A.....it can be a little confusing.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
tftestkits.net
I have one of those Polaris Waterstars fountains. Will that do?
Probably. The more bubbles you create, the faster the process. One member put a bubbler on the end of his air compressor and ran the air compressor 24/7......Yikes.

Fountains are probably the best bet.....the guideline is bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles!