First Test with Taylor K-2006

OK. Thanks.

Looking at the rate of fill, I would imagine it will be this evening or late afternoon before I'm up to the tile line. In the meantime, I will go and get some Chlorine.

It is very unlikely your CYA would have gone from 180 to 40.

Be sure your pool water is very well mixed. Run the pump at a high rpm for about an hour and use a pool brush to move the water in any low flow areas like steps, shelves, etc.

I've got the pump running at full speed (pool almost full to autofill shutoff level)
FC=0
Ph7.2
TA150
CYA40
CH150

I added 2 qts of MA at noon. Tested at 14:30

Off to buy some Bleach. Is it worth my while putting bleach in with the sun coming down hard for the rest of the day or should I wait until sunset?

Never leave your pool water with FC 0. Add the chlorine now. And assume your CYA is higher then 40. Add CL to get at least 10ppm.

So you went from 180 to 40? Good job! You must have replaced quite a bit of water with your in one end and out the other method.

I doubt @moore887 got his CYA down to 40. My guess is his CYA is around 100.

His water is still stratified and CYA takes a while to mix.

The math doesn’t add up. A sump pump and garden hose can push maybe 20-30 gpm. Thats 120-180 gph. In 24 hour he can drain maybe 3000 gallons. Thats 30% of his 10,000 gallons. 30% reduction from 180 gets you around 120 CYA.

Let’s see what his CYA tests after 48 hours or so.

Good afternoon all!

So yesterday evening about an hour before sunset, I put in 3 gallons of Clorox bleach. The autofill hadn't quite pushed the water up to the mid tile level so I was reluctant to test as I only had enough agent left for one more CYA test.

This morning a sample taken at 7:am (before sun on the pool) yielded the following results.

FC: 14
CC.5
Ph >8

I immediately added half a gallon of MA.
I turned off the pump and washed the Jandy filter
Turned it back on and brushed the pool sides and floor.

Results just now !:30pm

FC 13 (sun all day)
CC=0
Ph=7.2
TA=160
CA=300
CYA=30

I have ordered a salt test kit which should arrive by Thursday with a view to getting salt and starting the SWG if the FC passes the overnight test. I'm wondering should I go to Leslie's and see if they have more of the reagent for testing the CYA?

Since my CYA is too low now for a SWG, should I buy a couple of pool store shock bags instead of adding more bleach in the hopes it adds stabilizer? I obviously don't want to end back where I started. I'm guessing it was the PB's addition of Dichlor (or Trichlor) that sent the CYA so high in the first place.

Do not use Clorox bleach if it says it has Cloromax Technology. The bleach contains polymers which can cause foaming in your pool. You don’t want that stuff in your pool water. You only want bleach that has no additives or fragrances. If the bleach bottle makes claims like it is splashless then it has some additives in it.

Don’t buy pool shock. Stick with the basic chemicals- liquid chlorine, MA, Stabilizer/CYA, and pure pool salt.

CYA 30 is fine while using liquid chlorine. Buy stablizer when you buy pool salt. Don’t buy Clorox pool salt either.

Good place to buy more CYA reagent is R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 0z.

Allen,

I've just checked the bottle of bleach that I was going to dump in the pool to keep up to slam levels until I'm reading to load with salt and get the SWG running on Friday. I bought a case of three in sams. It says cloromax technology on the bottle. I have already used a case of that to slam the pool.

What pool salt do you recommend? I have Sam's, Walmart, Pinch a Penny and Leslies very close by.

I just ordered the CYA reagent from your link and got some more Chlorine test powder too.

FYI : here's today's results:

FC=7
CC=0
ph=7.4
TA=140
CH=275

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cloromax is a polymer and can effect your pool water. Up to you if you want to use it.

I use plain water softener salt. Home Depot or Walmart. Just be sure it does NOT have iron sequestrant added.

Well use the remaining Clorox bleach on your laundry not in your pool.

I get my pool salt from Walmart who had Mortons Pool Salt. Diamond Crystal pool salt is also good and you may find it in Lowes or HD.

Pool numbers look good! Good work.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Allen. Wife was beginning to think that this was my new full time job with the amount of attention I've been giving it! But it was the same when she put a GTI in the driveway, I wouldn't leave that alone either!

I will keep her up to shock level and pick up some salt and CYA in anticipation of my salt test kit coming in over the weekend so I can get the SWG running again. I'm hoping to pick up a solar cover and reel for this 12x28 pool so that we can get swimming again without making the utility company too happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.