First test results

cteal

Bronze Supporter
Jun 25, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Ok, here goes. Just got pump going yesterday afternoon and added 12 lbs cya and 1 gallon of 10% bleach. This afternoon, I tested and got the following results..

Cya- 60
pH- 7
Fc- 2.5
TA- 80

The app says to add roughly 4lbs cya and 12 lbs borax. Does that sound right?

Just dont want to mess up. Thanks for any help

So these notes are assuming your water is crystal clear with no indication of algae or cloudiness ....... Yes, increase CYA to 70, and also increase your FC to about 5 for this evening. Use some additional regular bleach if you have to for now until you get the SWG dialed-in and self-supporting. PH is on the low end, however it should rise fairly quickly from refills and aeration. Your TA is at a pretty good number as well, so I wouldn't jump to increase those too quickly. Perhaps give a day or so to see if the pH and TA change at all. You didn't list CH, but that's normally not a concern for a liner pool and you have no heater. So other than those recommendations, I think you are in a pretty good place. Monitor the pH over the weekend to see if it climbs for you slowly. If it does not, or if the pH or TA drop at all, then go ahead and bump them up a little. Enjoy the weekend.

c,

I would do NOTHING... yet...

CYA takes several days to really mix well with the water and it is better to have too little than too much... Did you add it in a sock :goodjob: or just pour in in the skimmer? :thumbdown:

I suspect your pH will come up pretty quickly on its own..

Something that you can fix is your FC level... It needs to be per this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

An FC of 2.5 is just too low...

Please do us all a big favor... report your chemicals like this...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt...

It helps us a lot when everyone reports in the same basic format.

Thanks,

Jim R,

Me again! OK. I put eighteen 40 lb bags of salt in yesterday. I have not turned the salt cell on yet. Has just been 24 hrs.

Here are my readings just now:

FC- 3.0 (I added 3 qts bleach, as recommended by pool math app)
CC- 0
pH- 7.5
TA- 100
CH- 140
CYA - 70
Salt-- 1120 or 2800??

By the TF salt reagants at 14 drops it turned from yellow to a peachy color. At 16 drops it turned a darker peachy color. The Accuchek salt strips registered at 4 which equates to 1120ppm. When this happened, I rechecked the salt level with the regeants and got the same reading as before when I tested. This was my first time testing salt, so I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. So I am totally confused as to how much salt I have in there.

Any advice? Based on the # of gallons we think we are dealing with, we should have put 25 bags of salt. I stopped at 18, because I stopped shy of the recommended amount of CYA so I figured maybe we didn't have as many gallons of water as we thought.

c,

I would go with the more accurate kit and assume it is 2800... You can always add more if needed.

As long as 2800 is more than the minimum to run your cell, it is ok to fire it up...

Then you can see what the cell thinks the salt level is... Don't be surprised if it is +/- 400 ppm... of the 2800...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks so much for your reply. I will have to add more, because it is either 3200 or 3300 for my salt cell (I'll have to look).

Should I get my salt level right before I turn on the salt cell?

C,

I would for this time... If your salt is close to being ok and just a little low, having the SWCG running when adding a bag or two of salt is not big deal... But you don't want to have the cell running if you are adding a bunch of salt..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.