First Test Results, should I SLAM???

Lissawku10

Jan 23, 2021
Glasgow, KY
We started filling our pool 6 days ago, and it has rained throughout the week as well as the city water we used to fill it. The electrician is finishing the wiring today, so we haven’t been able to use the equipment at all. The water doesn’t look terrible, but it isn’t clear like it was when we first started filling of course. Here's what the water tests at:

Chlorine: 0
CYA: 0 (I assume this since I haven't added any... I didn't want to waste a test since it is a new fill- but I will if I need to. Newbie here)
TA: 100
PH: 7.5
CH: 275

So, I just want to make sure I do this right! The PoolMath App says I should add:

-10lbs Dry Stabilizer (to get CYA to 40)
-1.5 gallons 10% liquid chlorine (to get FC to 5.0) -- But should I bring it to SLAM level since it hasn't had circulation or chlorine since fill began a week ago?

It says the PH is a bit low, but if I add Borax- it will raise TA... which is already on the high end, so......????

Thanks so much for any advice!

Welcome to TFP.

Your pH is fine. Any pH in the 7's is ok.

Add 30 ppm of CYA at first. No reason to rush up to 40. And if you need to do the SLAM Process it will use less FC.

Add liquid chlorine to about 8ppm and check it daily and top it off there for a few days. See what your FC drop is. Then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. You may pass the OCLT and be fine. If you fail the OCLT then follow the SLAM Process.

Welcome to TFP.

Your pH is fine. Any pH in the 7's is ok.

Add 30 ppm of CYA at first. No reason to rush up to 40. And if you need to do the SLAM Process it will use less FC.

Add liquid chlorine to about 8ppm and check it daily and top it off there for a few days. See what your FC drop is. Then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. You may pass the OCLT and be fine. If you fail the OCLT then follow the SLAM Process.
That makes complete sense! Thank you so much!

You know to use the sock method when adding dry stabilizer?

Keep the sock w CYA away from the pool sides. CYA is acidic and may damage or stain your liner.
Manipulate the sock now and then to speed up the process. Aim low on your addition and work your way up to your target so you don't go too high by mistake. Also it may take a day or two to test properly.

yup, use multiple socks and refill them as necessary until you get the amount you need dissolved. Run your pump 24/7 while the CYA is dissolving. Brush any CYA that escapes the sock and falls onto the floor of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.