First Test Results. No CYA?

Nov 28, 2018
Michigan
Hi everyone,

Finally got my SWG working correctly and my pool is starting to clear up so I am not sure what to make of my first test results and need some help.

FC 2.5
CC 1.0
CL 1-2
PH 7.8
TA 90
CYA Not registering <20

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Since you do seem to have some FC that is holding, that's promising. Go ahead an add stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30. At the same time, lower your pH to 7.2 now, then increase the FC to 12 (your SLAM level). Once the FC is at 12, it's all about the details on the SLAM Process page until you pass all 3 criteria. Good luck!

what type of stabilizer am I looking for? Something I get at a pool store?
You can get stabilizer from just about any place that has pool supplies. I got my last batch at Walmart (Clorox stabilizer I believe) for about $17. The major ingredient on the container should be cyanuric acid - as close to 100% as you can.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Reactions: martinezj1120
Since you do seem to have some FC that is holding, that's promising. Go ahead an add stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30. At the same time, lower your pH to 7.2 now, then increase the FC to 12 (your SLAM level). Once the FC is at 12, it's all about the details on the SLAM Process page until you pass all 3 criteria. Good luck!
I noticed you said a CYA of 30, but the CYA chart suggest a CYA if 80-90 because I have a SW pool and a much higher FC Target. Am I wrong?

Thank you. Purchased both chlorine stabilizer and dry acid to bring my PH down. Using pool math, I added the stabilizer to bring my CYA up to 30 and the dry acid to bring my PH down to 7.2. Then added close to 2 gallons of bleach to bring to shock levels. I'll retest in a few hours and post the results.

It is not good to use dry acid, especially with a SWCG. Sulfates build up in the water and destroy metals. Which is what your SWCG is.

Best to use muriatic acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is not good to use dry acid, especially with a SWCG. Sulfates build up in the water and destroy metals. Which is what your SWCG is.

Best to use muriatic acid.

Good to know. It was the only thing available and an option on pool math. Will I be ok using it this time? I can run out and get some muriatic acid tomorrow.

Also, when I test during the SLAM, do I need the entire list or just keep an eye on the CYA, PH, and total chlorine?

You can use up what you have. Just not good to use it for long periods. You do drain for the winter which helps.

Most SWCG manufacturer documentation specifically state to not use dry acid. Pentair does.

Update. First test after initial shock.

FC 13.5

Initial goal was 12 so I over shot some. I do feel this is a much more accurate reading than my initial as I'm getting more comfortable and dialed in with the TF 100 and Speedstir.

A quick thank you to everyone for all of your help so far. My confidence is growing.

Last night before I went to bed I was at a FC of 13.5 and this morning I was closer to a 14.5. tested for CC and I was at zero. I am going to go home during my lunch break and test again. Ran the pump all night and the pool looked really good this morning, but the lighting wasn't great. We are expecting storms all morning so I hope that doesn't mess me up.

Assuming I have consistent test today and the SLAM is done, what is my next step? And how do I transition to my salt water system?

Assuming I have consistent test today and the SLAM is done, what is my next step? And how do I transition to my salt water system?
Once you pass all 3 SLAM Process criteria, then you have the green light to begin raising your CYA to the recommended 70 level for your SWG and simply let the FC fall naturally back down to the ideal target range based on the FC/CYA Levels. Just make sure all 3 SLAM criteria are good to go before you increase the CYA. Good luck!

Reactions: martinezj1120
Once you pass all 3 SLAM Process criteria, then you have the green light to begin raising your CYA to the recommended 70 level for your SWG and simply let the FC fall naturally back down to the ideal target range based on the FC/CYA Levels. Just make sure all 3 SLAM criteria are good to go before you increase the CYA. Good luck!

Update: came home from work and tested FC at an 11.5, down from the 14.5 this morning. Added to bring it back up to 12. Came home at 230 and I was down to 8 after a big rain. Added to get back to shock level 12. Tested at 430 and 630 and I held steady at 15 and 15 and then just now at FC 14.5 and CC of .5 . Vacuumed a lot today and the water is looking good. I can see the bottom nice and clear.

Two questions. What is off that I'm shooting for a FC of 12 and ended up at 15? Does it matter I over shot?

I'm thinking if I'm around a 13. 5 tomorrow morning the SLAM is done.

Update: came home from work and tested FC at an 11.5, down from the 14.5 this morning. Added to bring it back up to 12. Came home at 230 and I was down to 8 after a big rain. Added to get back to shock level 12. Tested at 430 and 630 and I held steady at 15 and 15 and then just now at FC 14.5 and CC of .5 . Vacuumed a lot today and the water is looking good. I can see the bottom nice and clear.

Two questions. What is off that I'm shooting for a FC of 12 and ended up at 15? Does it matter I over shot?

I'm thinking if I'm around a 13. 5 tomorrow morning the SLAM is done.

Just tested my CYA and it's closer to 40. Not sure how that happened but maybe that's why I'm overshooting my target FC.

What is off that I'm shooting for a FC of 12 and ended up at 15? Does it matter I over shot?
A few things come to mind:
- Either the pool volume is smaller than you thought, so you are overdosing. This one can be validated when you do other tests and adjustments (i.e. acid for pH and TA)
- The bleach is stronger than you thought
- The WEIGHT (%) field in the PoolMath tool or APP wasn't updated to the correct strength
- There was a testing error; either in drops or by not letting the chlorine mix well enough before grabbing a sample.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.