First test results. Help with raising CYA

LooLooPoolNoob

Jun 27, 2020
Little Falls NY
Got my TF 100 in today! Wooooo! Time to Slam out and fix this cloudy, neglected for 5 years, mess of a pool. Currently the pool is blue but cloudy. Found out today the bottom manifold of the Hayward is cracked. New one getting picked up tomorrow. New filters to be delivered today.
Results as follows:
pH 7.2
Free chlorine 2
Combined chlorine 1
Total chlorine 3
Total alkalinity 120
Cya <20
Didn't check calcium because I have an IG liner.

So, as much as I can surmise if I wanna slam this baby to clear I gotta raise up my CYA considering it's p much non-existent. My question is I have 2 bags of shock. Should I put those in the pool once I have my filter in tip top shape? Right now we're using the old filters and running with the cracked manifold just because I'd figured it's be better than nothing at all.

Any suggestions would be great!
Pic if pool for reference I guess, lol

Attachments

• 32309.jpeg
    32309.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 32311.jpeg
    32311.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 152
I would raise CYA by 10-15 PPM in a sock by the return. You want to creep up on your CYA number, not go over. Test after it is all dissolved and see where you stand. Then start SLAMMING, PH at 7.2 is perfect.

Not much difference in SLAM level for 30 or 40 CYA. You just don't want to go higher.

Reactions: LooLooPoolNoob
I would suggest you have zero CYA in your pool and calculate and apply a dosage of 30 ppm. Your FC SLAM value will then be 12.

I would save the bags of "shock" for another time. They won't go bad, there are many other times when you can use them. Bleach or Liquid Chlorine is the very best for a SLAM because you can control it so well.

I would not use the powdered shock for the SLAM, as liquid chlorine is preferred. I would also suggest you double check your pool size. Pictures can be deceiving, but that doesn't look like a 27k gallon pool, and the wrong volume can cause you to overshoot the CYA and other chemical additions.

I have liquid chlorine that I have been using to keep the chlorine levels up until I got my kit. My pool dimensions are 4ft at the shallow end 8 ft at the deep end with a 35 ft length and 17 ft width. I just recalced and it puts me at about 26668 so I guess I was slightly off. What do I buy to elevate cya? The pool pucks?

Also, the kits keep a rolling. Got the new filters in. Place I ordered them said they are compatible but they look different than my old filters. They're shorter, inner hole that sits on the manifold is the same tho. Anyone have any experience with this? Can I use them. I'm really hoping so because they weren't cheap and I can't waste time to try to send them back or exchange them since they came from Utah. All the local pool places are charging like 100$ for 1 filter and I need 4.

So, I got the chlorox pool stabilizer (PKG states it's 100% cyuranic acid), only adding 2 lbs at the moment and trying to be cautious because I don't wanna over do it.

I put an lb each in some tights I cut the legs off of (added a pic). I saw everyone saying a sock so I hope this is what they meant! If not let me know.

Put one in the skimmer and tied on on the ladder on the side that the jet blows by it. Lemme know if this isn't correct.

Test today is pretty bleak chlorine wise with a FC of 1, CC of 1 and TC of 2, but, expected considering I have under 20 cya. PH is 7.3 ish (color was in-between 7.2 and 7.5 but closer to 7.2) TA is still sitting at 110.

Cross your fingers for me my friends.

On a good note, we got the new filters and the new bottom manifold will be in in a few hours. Pool is still circulating with the cracked manifold so I figured I'd drop in the cya now and not waste anymore time! Thanks for listening to me ramble.

I appreciate all of you!

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_094318303.jpg
    IMG_20200702_094318303.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 81

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello and Welcome to TFP! I'm glad to see you taking the bull by the horns right away!!

In case you haven't done so already, read through the SLAM Process and be sure you are following it strictly. One important aspect I want to make sure you don't overlook is the frequency of testing and adding chlorine. You should be testing at least 4 times a day and more often if you can. Maintaining the chlorine (FC) at SLAM level is important.
While in the SLAM process, you only need to test FC and CC. Don't worry about the other levels right now. When the CYA is all dissolved, then you can do a test to see where you ended up.
Brush daily and run the pump & filter 24/7. Try to get as much muck off the bottom as possible.

So my Darling Aquaphiles,

I work 2nd shift so I checked up on Poolio.(that's the name I gave my soon to be sparkling oasis)

While I was at work the hubs changed the manifold and cleaned the filters, my sixteen year old vacuumed the bottom of the deep end where the worst of the worst was (pic of the unshrekening attached). We dont have a vac to waste setting on our set up so we used a shop vac. 🤷. After that he added 2 gallons of liquid 12.5% chlorine to the pool (about 5pm)

I know that my cya won't be as accurate since it just all dissolved in but I figured it'd be a good practice for me on reading the test it self.

FC 10
CC 1
TC 11
TA 120
CYA 30
PH 7.5

I'll check it all again in the AM and then start my SLAM. I have the next 2 days off so it's SLAMdependence day for me!

Attachments

• 32431.jpeg
    32431.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 106
Hello and Welcome to TFP! I'm glad to see you taking the bull by the horns right away!!

In case you haven't done so already, read through the SLAM Process and be sure you are following it strictly. One important aspect I want to make sure you don't overlook is the frequency of testing and adding chlorine. You should be testing at least 4 times a day and more often if you can. Maintaining the chlorine (FC) at SLAM level is important.
While in the SLAM process, you only need to test FC and CC. Don't worry about the other levels right now. When the CYA is all dissolved, then you can do a test to see where you ended up.
Brush daily and run the pump & filter 24/7. Try to get as much muck off the bottom as possible.
I would say ignore the CC testing until the end of the slam as it'll be .5 or under when the FC starts to hold longer and longer nearing the end before you go for the OCLT.

Been slamming for a full day now. Testing the water every 2-3 hours while awake. I can see improvement. Today when I brushed there was no giant disgusting green cloud floating up from the deep end, which is amazing! I can see the bottom of the shallow end still, and even some of the incline going to the deep end.

I'm not losing extreme amounts of chlorine, which I'm not sure is good or bad. It was overcast and rained a bit most of the day yesterday. Only lost one over night, biggest drop was from my 2pm test to my 6pm test where I lost 4.5, but I'm assuming that normal considering it was the brightest part of the day.

My husband is a bit skeptical, but I'm having him taste the PoolAid in sips, lol. Basically I'm sticking to my guns and not budging.

It'll pay off in the end!

First pic is yesterday morning, second is today.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_141955075.jpg
    IMG_20200703_141955075.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20200704_092333747.jpg
    IMG_20200704_092333747.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: mknauss
Actually, I see significant progress in those pics. Stay the course. That was pretty contaminated pool water and I wouldn't expect it to clear for another couple of days at least. Meanwhile....

Chlorine at SLAM value, replenish every 6 hours or so now

Vacuum when you can.....once daily if you can do it

Brush the pool floor and walls at least every other day

Run the pump 24/7 and backwash when you get the 25% rise. Don't worry that you are not consuming much chlorine. That actually is a good thing.

Again, stay the course.

Unfortunately, we can't back wash because we have cartridge filters, but I'm checking the pressure Everytime I check the chlorine and if it drops I open it and wash them. I have 2 sets of filter so it's just a swap out so we aren't losing filter time during washing.

Double unfortunately we cannot vac to waste either, so we hook up a shopvac to the pool vac, lol and it works, but can be tedious. Luckily the pool is slightly over filled so I'm not worried about wasting out the water. Gonna stay the course, skim brush, test ad nauseum until Poolio is a crystal clear tfp!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.