First test on K-2006 - not going as planned

AuSoleil

Aug 5, 2020
Dallas, TX
Hello,

I tried my very first basic test for Chlorine(/Bromine?). With K-2006, I am taking the 25ml sample, adding 2 scoops of DPT870. The sample is not turning pink on swirls. I added some more scoops, and more scoops, to no avail.
I checked my Chlorinator is loaded and running, water is going through it.
The pool water is clear and I see no sign that anything is wrong. I would be leaning towards user error with the kit, since I have never used it before, but I also just dumped the Waterguru device in the skimmer and it reads FC 0 ppm, pH 7.7.

I did the CYA test from the kit, I can still barely see the dot when the tube is full so I don't have an accurate reading, but it would mean CYA is under 30.

I still have the pool maintenance company from the previous owner, they are supposed to come every week. I did not see them last Friday though, so it might be 12 days since the last shock if they skipped a week. I should see them this coming Friday, and I will make sure to ask questions...

Thoughts?
Can I really have 0 FC? How bad would it be?

The FAS-DPD result is due to no readable FC in the pool water.
Do the OTO yellow comparison test. That reads TC. See if you get any yellow tint with it.

I would suggest adding 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now. Essentially one gallon of 10% in your pool volume.

Watch some of the videos. If you want to follow TFPC, you will need to take control of your pool water chemistry. Pool maintenance companies cannot properly care for your pool water chemistry.

The pool company is not in my long term plan, but I need to get up to speed first. Can the OTO yellow comparison test be done with K-2006, when I google it I see a different brand of test kits that I don't have handy without ordering it.

That chlorine test is pretty darn accurate and reliable. I suspect you don’t have any measurable level of chlorine in the pool. Even if the tablet feeder is loaded and flowing, it’s possible that your pool is consuming chlorine just as fast as the chlorinator is adding it. Also, some chlorinators have a dial to adjust the amount of chlorine added. Check yours to make sure it’s set high enough.

As suggested above, pour a gallon of liquid chlorine into your pool right away, then test for FC around 30 minutes after that assuming your pump is running. You can get liquid chlorine from Leslies, Walmart, or Home Depot.

After a few days of tracking, I am starting to notice that FC drops continuously.

I'll get my FC up (Shock or Liquid Chlorine) and it will be right back to low levels about 2 or 3 days later. If I continue following FC recommendations from PoolMath without changing anything else, I'll be adding a quart of 12.5% liquid chlorine about every 2 or 3 days. Is that normal?

My CYA is still low (<25), but if I understood Pool School correctly, raising it will only make it worse as I will need higher chlorine levels.

Low FC might not be a major issue... the pool continues to look and feel good. It gets a lot of sun all day, and the water temp is high (>91F).

On 16th Aug:
FC: 1.2 (Last time I raised my chlorine was Friday - 2 days ago) - and I added liquid chlorine right away after testing, so FC should be up again as I write this.
Ph: 7.7
TA: 90
CH: 270
CYA: <25
Temp: 91

Raise your CYA to 40 ppm. Low CYA is allowing the UV to consume more chlorine. Chlorine must also be added EVERY DAY during the summer. Use FC/CYA Levels

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK cool, so FC dropping over a short span of time is fairly normal then.
As a new pool owner, I didn't realize that adding that much chlorine was standard practice.

I'll correct my CYA, and start making a habit of adding chlorine regularly.

Reactions: mknauss
At this time of year, I would suspect your pool will need close to half a gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine a day.

You’re on the right track with the above advice. Your pool consumes chlorine; CYA accumulates, so once it’s added, it stays there. CYA will very very slowly decrease over time with splash out, rain, and sun, so it’s good to check it every once in a while. I usually check mine every 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: AuSoleil
Once you get your CYA up to 40 or 50, discontinue using the chlorine tablets. They contain almost half CYA and should only be used when going on vacation for a few days to a couple of weeks. Liquid chlorine is ideal to use because it doesnt have any CYA in it. Otherwise, you'll be chasing a moving FC target within weeks with the constant rising CYA.

Yes, that's what I've been reading. So you'd recommend turning off the chlorinator completely (as long as I am around to manage with liquid chlorine)?
CYA rising has not been a concern so far. When we moved in, the Chlorinator was on max already and I never had a reading above 25.

Once your CYA is to the level you want leave the chlorinator empty and only use liquid. If you have to be away for a couple of day you can add pocks to the chlorinator. A typical puck is 8 oz. I think that adds about 2 points of CYA to a pool your size. You can use Pool Math to double check as I'm quoting this from memory.

Reactions: AuSoleil
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.