Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So electrician is here today, finally hooking up my swg. I’ve been afraid to test my pool until now. My PB ran the test last week and had me add algaecide, some chlorine sticks, and 20lbs of alkalinity increaser (sodium bicarbonate).

------------------------------------------
Test Results 07-29-2019 @ 01:19 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
Total Alkalinity: 140
Calcium Hardness: 50
CYA: 0
Salt: 0

Test Results 07-29-2019 @ 10:26 AM
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 8.2

Pool has been surprisingly clear, but has made us feel a bit itch and dry if we don’t rinse right away.

Hoping builder comes tomorrow and adds 900+ pounds of salt so I can start making chlorine. Anything else I should make sure he adds besides salt and probably cya?

You need to bring your FC up using liquid chlorine/plain bleach before you expect the SWG to work well. It needs to be brought online to *maintain* your FC level. They work too slowly to bring it up from near zero to x amount ppm before algae has a chance to move in.

You also need CYA...... you've needed that ever since water was put in there...

Do not turn the device on until a day after you've added the salt and brushed it around good to mix it up and get it all dissolved. It needs a good day with the pump left running. That too could have been already in the water so you could have turned on the SWG immediately today. Your pool builder needs to learn those tricks.

Maddie :flower:

You need to bring your FC up using liquid chlorine/plain bleach before you expect the SWG to work well. It needs to be brought online to *maintain* your FC level. They work too slowly to bring it up from near zero to x amount ppm before algae has a chance to move in.

You also need CYA...... you've needed that ever since water was put in there...

Do not turn the device on until a day after you've added the salt and brushed it around good to mix it up and get it all dissolved. It needs a good day with the pump left running. That too could have been already in the water so you could have turned on the SWG immediately today. Your pool builder needs to learn those tricks.

Maddie :flower:
I’ve come to the conclusion that my PB is a scatterbrain, and has too much going on at once. I thought I could add all that stuff already but he said to wait. Maybe I’ll go grab some bleach, when the missus gets home. And I think ocean state job lot has some cya ( I need a bunch)

Thanks Jim, I will reread that. And I’ve been using pool math and learning a bunch as I roam around the forum.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
I notice that you have an almost 40K pool and suspect you have a T-15 cell which is for a 40K pool.. While that sounds great it is not!!!

A SWCG is rated when running 24/7 at 100% output... I say this because you need to start running 24/7 at 100% and then start reducing the run time to get the FC where you want to be.. If you start high, it is easy to cut back.. but, if you start low, it will be almost impossible to catch up..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.