First SLAM questions

Vittt

Jun 16, 2018
Parkville, MD
Performing my first SLAM on a 4400 gallon Intex metal frame pool and have some questions. Before slam, pH-7.2, TA-90, CYA-40. Brought shock level to 16 and have been maintaining since Sunday night.

[I think] I see some improvement, but want to know if this is on par? How long should I expect this to take with a sand filter?

The pool is currently located under a couple of our neighbors trees, so we get a fair bit of debris. I’ve been brushing, using a leaf net to remove leaves, and skimming surface 2-3x/day, but the surface seems to never get/stay even remotely clear.

Am I able to put a solar cover on the pool to help keep some debris from coming into the pool? Or will this be counterproductive to algae growth?

Are their any other ways to keep the surface clear? I bought this skimmer, but it doesn’t seem to really do anything.
Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer Amazon.com : Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Garden & Outdoor

Also, I’m finding that I’m having to backwash the pool 1-2x daily, as the return flow gets to almost nothing. Is this normal?

Thank you for reaching, and for all your help!!

Attachments

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
If you have the intex sand filter it is small and will clog fairly quickly with a pool this dirty. Having to backwash often is normal. Do you have a pool vacuum?

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Try using the vacuum that connects to the intake daily. Vacuum to waste, then dose the pool with chlorine to reach slam level. The key to a successful slam is maintaining slam level as much as possible and removing debris (leaves, dead algae) daily.

Other Threads of Interest