First slam need help

Lanailounger

Silver Supporter
Aug 23, 2016
Southwest Florida
On 4/10 I posted that my pool water looked good but not so now. I have been out of town since the 11th and this past weekend cloudy water and a yellowish green sediment on bottom of pool when husband brushes
latest numbers on 4/10
FC 6.5
CC 0
Ph 7.8
CH 375
TA 80
CYA 80
he only used OTO method to check chlorine all week until Sunday evening and it was 4.5
I've had him add bleach and number up to 24 but we are shooting for higher and he is adding more hopefully. I'll be back tomorrow evening to start proper testing and adding. Could it be mustard algae?
i'll recheck cya level tomorrow evening. Thanks for any advice

Hi there

CYA at 80 can be a challenge to maintain, as I suspect you just found out. For SLAM, you'll need your FC at least 31. OTO test won't cut it for you at 80 CYA. It sounds like you already raised your FC so that can make the PH reading off. If FC is below 10, go ahead and lower PH closer to 7.2 before raising FC. Stay on top of your SLAM FC. And brush brush brush.

Thanks for replying and we are shooting for 31 but used the the last bottle this evening so hopefully we'll get their soon and stay there. More bleach in the am,and he is off work tomorrow so hopefully he will be a little more consistent with the numbers until I get home. I had him add acid before starting the additions of bleach but doubt it got to 7.2. I hope I can do this as reading so many algae problems gets me really nervous. My pool has been crystal clear since May following this forum and hope to see it clear very soon!

Don't fret. I'm ashamed to admit that I let the pool go most winters. I open green every spring. Not something I'm proud of. But I can share tips.....look everywhere for algae and brush. Inside or behind skimmer box frames....behind lights if you have a reoccuring problem. It gets into the tiny cracks where my fiberglass steps frame meet my liner. It's important to find all the hiding places and brush it. I know it sounds crazy but I now give my kids a nylon scrub brush purchased in the kitchen section of the grocery and send them to task brushing behind light frames and stair frames.

Keep FC at slam level
And brush

You sound like you understand SLAM so just keep at it. And feel free to ask specific questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Also......noticing you're in FL......is draining to lower that CYA a possibility? How were you chlorinating before SLAM?

SWG but over the winter at 25% kept my FC at 6-8 no problem. Since the 80-90 degree weather I think I should have increased percentage esp since leaving town. We really have no winter here in southwest Florida and we swim till early January. Too cool in Jan and Feb and some of March then we started heater in late March. I test frequently but my husband thinks it doesn't need frequent testing. He has been a pool store guy and the pool looked terrible so I took over in May.
We had the cage rescreened end of March and a lot of debris in pool and I'm wondering if that contributed to my problem.
anyway can't wait to get home because I love my pool and taking care of it!

A CYA value of 80ppm isn't out of line for a SWG system. It does become a bit difficult to perform a SLAM at that CYA level though.

Can you tell us more about the SWG system. If set properly, it should have maintained your FC so the green monster didn't take hold. What is your SWG setting and what is your pump run time? According to the CYA / FC Chart, the absolute minimum FC you should maintain is 4ppm with CYA=80. At FC of 4.5 the accuracy of the OTO test is not fine enough, so you may actually are / were below 4.

Once you get your SLAM completed, you should tune your SWG to keep the FC within the appropriate range.

Edit: our posts flew over each over in the night....

Called a Breeze. 25 50 75 and 100% and a boost. It comes on with pump we run pump 9-5 during hot weather and it ran 6 hours during cooler. Yes I agree when my husband called with a 4.5 in evening I thought it was a lot lower in the morning and had him add bleach that night and turn SWG to 50%. I think I should have turned it up weeks ago.

Arrived home last evening FC at 29 down from 31 which is my shock level for CYA of 80. Added more chlorine and 10:30 pm
the FC at 34. Pool cloudy still and continuing to brush. I will check CYA when sun a little higher and should I do a full set?
FC this am is 33.
Any help is appreciated

Welcome back, now it's time for the work to begin, lol.

You can run another CYA test to verify the level if you want. Depends on you comfort level with the last test. Unless you added changed a lot of water, the level shouldn't have changed. Maybe just verify you are really at 80.

As for the other levels, don't worry about them for now. FC and SLAM should be your focus.

Keep FC up to shock levels and test & add as often as practical. And brush, brush, brush. [emoji3]

You can ignore the pH test. Any FC above 10ppm will render the pH test invalid. The 7.8 pH isn't optimal though. We would prefer to see it down on the low end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay so.... Pool looks so much better. FC last evening 31 CC 0.5 This AM FC 32 CC 0.5. Only slightly cloudy to my eyes because I am used to crystal clear. Company says it is clear. Should I continue slam or can I stop and of course keep a close eye on it? I know this pool probably needs acid so I need to wait for FC to drift down to 10 then check PH?
Thanks for help and reassurance.

helloo anyone there? this evening my FC 30.5 in the full sun today. I'm not having a great chlorine loss but pool still cloudy have been brushing and brushing. what else should I be doing, or just continuing to keep it at shock level? husband does not want to drain pool yet and cya at 80 . Can we turn heater on?

If it is still cloudy you should stick with SLAM. The 3critera a passing a successful SLAM are:

Clear water
CC measures .5 or lower and
OCLT of less than 1ppm (SWG off for this test)

Pass all three before quitting or you will likely be fighting the monster again shortly.

Ask me how I know:eek:

You asked about your heater :) the PH levels will have more effect on the heater than your FC will.... I normally wait until after SLAM to turn mine on... took 2 days of 8 hour days to heat ours from 70 to 88 :)

During my SLAMS if I am curious about it, I will let FC to below 10 and then test PH real quick... adjust if needed and then bring the FC back up. I used a lot of MA last year but so far this year it seems I found the balance and haven't had to add it as much!

Lanai, I don't think it will be out of line to add some acid since you were on the high end when you started. Just put that weekly dose of 20oz in for now. The FC works better at the lower end of the scale anyway.

As for scaling, don't worry about that right now. The CSI would need to be really high for a while to cause scaling. Using your numbers from your original post, you had neutral CSI which is good. Therefore your pH would have to be VERY high for a prolonged time. It's only been less than a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.