First Set of Numbers - Kit Just Arrived

daanjo

Jul 12, 2010
FC: 5
PH: 7.5
TA: 50
CH: did not check
CYA: I'm a bit confused by the black dot test. Will the dot disappear, or does it just get distorted. It appears my CYA is 10 or lower even after 4 days.

Owned pool for 4 days, and have added (2-5 - 3oz) Shock (hyp-chlor 53%) each night.

I intend to continue with shock to maintain FC levels until my CYA has achieved 40. Is this the correct action?

Thanks,
Darrin

12' x 36" Intex AGP

Yes, on the CYA test, once the dot disappears, that is when you take your reading. If the dot doesn't go away completely, you essentially have no CYA.

CYA can be added by itself as stabilizer powder, it can be added by using chlorinating tablets to chlorinate, or it can be added using a product called dichlor. Some products that are sold as "pool shock" are dichlor and this will get your CYA up quickly. It sounds like what you are using (hyp-chlor 53%) is calcium hypochlorite. This will not add CYA to your water.

CYA needs a week to dissolve before you measure the level again. I would aim for 40 all in one go, wait a week to see where you ended up, and then make any further adjustments that might be required at that point.

Since you bought the liquid stabilizer, it will dissolve pretty much immediately. The powdered kind of stabilizer takes upwards of a week to dissolve. Add the liquid stabilizer and check the CYA in an hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.