First pool Tampa area - Plumbing question

I totally agree about the regional differences (and I did try to get more of you Floridians to weigh in, for that very reason). But my go-to comeback: an auto-leveling system is relatively cheap to install, and if you find later that you don't need it, or don't like it, you just turn a valve and it's off. Or you could just use it for manual filling. Or just use the overflow feature alone. Or the auto-fill feature alone. All the options are available. But you can't install any of those options after the pool is done, should you later discover you wish you had any or all of them...

Reactions: TampaKathy
I totally agree about the regional differences (and I did try to get more of you Floridians to weigh in, for that very reason). But my go-to comeback: auto-fill is relatively cheap to install, and if you find later that you don't need it, or don't like it, you just turn a valve and it's off. Or you could just use it for manual filling. All the options are available. But you can't add it should you later discover you wish you had it...
Yeah, I'm already spending so much money, what's another few hundred? :)

• Haha
Reactions: Dirk
So I may be switching PB's. The one I was leaning towards doesn't have a good draw schedule and I don't think they will be open to adjusting it. I'm going to ask but I'm also considering another PB with a good draw schedule that can start sooner. But PB #2 uses Hayward and so I need to learn about that now instead of Pentair. Can anyone help with what the Hayward equivalents to Pentair are:

Note: PB 1 said pool is 21,500 gallons; PB 2 said 18,600 (designs weren't exactly the same but I thought they were closer)
Pentair Intelliflo 3HP = ? PB 2 is suggesting TriStar 950 (1.5HP)
Pentair IC60 = ? PB 2 is suggesting T925
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 sq ft = ? PB 2 is suggesting C200s, I think I need C4030

Thank you!

There should be no reason that either PB couldn't install either brand, unless there is some sort of direct relationship between PB and vendor. Is PB #2 insisting on Hayward, or are you assuming that? And do you care which is used?

Pentair is a very well respected brand, particularly their Intelliflo pumps. I'm not sure TFP has ever had a thread where all the pros and cons of "the big three" were compared (Pentair, Hayward and Jandy). I know they are very competitive and all have similar products.

What is your concern about the water volume? When it comes time, I'll teach you how to determine the exact water volume, if that is your concern. (You use your home's water meter during the fill process to get a very accurate number.) Or are you just thinking in terms of pool size and how that works with equipment choice?

Last edited:
There should be no reason that either PB couldn't install either brand, unless there is some sort of direct relationship between PB and vendor. Is PB #2 insisting on Hayward, or are you assuming that? And do you care which is used?

Pentair is a very well respected brand, particularly their Intelliflo pumps. I'm not sure TFP has ever had a thread where all the pros and cons of "the big three" were compared (Pentair, Hayward and Jandy). I know they are very competitive and all have similar products.

What is your concern about the water volume? When it comes time, I'll teach you how to determine the exact water volume, if that is your concern. (You use your home's water meter doing the fill process to get a very accurate number.) Or are you just thinking in terms of pool size and how that works with equipment choice?
Oh, honestly I didn't even think to ask if PB 2 could do Pentair b/c I thought it was one or the other...I will ask. I was just noting the gallons in case it made a big enough difference with the equipment. I am on a well so I will have to see if I have a meter.

Last edited:
So I may be switching PB's. The one I was leaning towards doesn't have a good draw schedule and I don't think they will be open to adjusting it. I'm going to ask but I'm also considering another PB with a good draw schedule that can start sooner. But PB #2 uses Hayward and so I need to learn about that now instead of Pentair. Can anyone help with what the Hayward equivalents to Pentair are:

Note: PB 1 said pool is 21,500 gallons; PB 2 said 18,600 (designs weren't exactly the same but I thought they were closer)
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 sq ft = ? PB 2 is suggesting C200s, I think I need C4030

Thank you!
My Tampa PB was all Hayward. PM me if you want to see if we're talking about the same people.

Size of the pool definitely can govern which size of something you get (SWG and filter, for sure). If you get a variable speed pump, then the size of the pool is less critical, since the pump can adjust.

If you don't find a water meter, you can always install one. $40-50 dollars will get you a decent one. Of you can get an end-of-hose meter for about $20 at Home Depot. You can double check its accuracy with a five gallon bucket, and then do some math if a correction is needed. Either way, some sort of meter will be way more accurate than a PB's estimate, and a handy number to have when it comes time to calculate doses of chlorine, and other pool chemicals. You might only have this one opportunity to fill your pool from empty. This is way too early in the process to be considering this tiny detail, of course, but don't forget or you'll be kicking yourself the first time you have to figure out how much chlorine to add!

I'm in the process of getting quotes for a new build and I was planning on water bowls but I wouldn't have them on all the time...so I'm wondering, if I only run them on the weekend, will the water get nasty just sitting in the bowl over the week? I tried looking this up but I can't find anything that says how often the water bowls need to be run to keep the water clean. My instinct is that once a week will not be enough, maybe even need to be run daily (which I guess I could set up for them to run automatically for a little bit each day?). And how often will they need to be scrubbed? Long story short, I think I'm talking myself out of water bowls even though I was so adamant that I HAD to have them, lol.

You need to run chlorinated pool water through the water bowls once or twice daily to ensure they do not become breeding grounds for algae. The stagnant water in the bowl will lose its chlorine within a day or two depending on your FC level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also need to know if the water bowls will flow into the pool (or spa) or into their own reservoir. Definitely need to have chlorinated water flow through them to reduce algae formation. If it flows to your pool you could set up an automation that turns it on everyday for 30 mins or so or do it twice daily or do it at night, etc. Just curious why you only wish to run them on weekend? It is a energy use issue, a water use issue? Also, depending on the size of the bowls you will get some evaporation so you need to watch that as well which is also a reason to run them daily if only for 30 mins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting ready to go outside to workout and all of a sudden the wind kicks up and I thought I heard thunder:
Me: Ugh, I waited too long, now it's thundering and getting ready to rain.
Boyfriend: Are you sure that was thunder? That sounded like a tree falling.
Me: Well I sure hope it's the tree we were going to pay to have removed.
BF: It IS that tree!

LOL, guess we can scratch that off our pool build list of to-do's. Most of the tree fell to the right of the retaining wall but enough came down in my pool outline so that would have damaged the cage. We still need to remove one tree (that we can do) but the biggest one took care of itself. :)

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Wow
Reactions: Nikilyn

Thank you!

Tristar 950 and Aquarite T925 would work ok. I agree get the C4030 filter. Look at getting the Aqualogic instead of Aquarite T925 which includes Prologic Automation.

Hayward has a new OmniPL that may be worth a look...

Your PB may install Pentair stuff if you offfer to pay more. He can probably get more of a PB discount on Hayward then Pentair stuff.

After a 3-week impasse over PB #1's front-loaded payment schedule, they agreed to changes so I have a signed contract now! I'm on the calendar for dig to start mid-April.
I will have:
* 52' long; width will vary from 8' to 16' (no spa, will get stand alone hot tub, conduit being run)
* 3.5' to 6' water depth
* Approx 21k gallons (will measure when filling up)
* 2 waterbowls, 48" sheer decent, 2 deck jets (I know these all raise PH, I'm not going to run them all the time)
* 2- 3' x 3' areas for landscaping
* sunshelf with umbrella holder
* 1 extra umbrella holder on deck
* 1,086 sq ft of travertine decking
* 3 microbrites facing away from house (we discussed 4 but decided on 3)
* 2 skimmers separately plumbed, main drain, 4 returns (I'm going to look into PV3 in-floor system as alternative - I know a lot of people say "just get a robot!" And that's what I am currently planning but the price for the PV3 is only $3k so I want to at least consider it)
* lanai cage
* Luna quartz - need to decide if I want to change to Signature matrix
* Intellicenter with IC 60
* 420sq ft cartridge
* Intelliflo VSF 3 HP pump for pool
* Intelliflo VS 1.5 for water features
* Pentair neverlube valves
* Having extra pad poured for possible future heater/chiller
* Overflow pipe
* Waiting for quote on light over pad
* Waiting for price on HIDE skimmer lids (probably more than I want to pay but getting quote anyway)
* Don't currently have autofill in contract b/c I thought $500 was a lot and I still need to hire a plumber myself to connect to house water (I will wind up adding even though I hate the upcharge amount)
* currently have 2" deck drain; may upgrade to 3" but it's $10/sq ft add'l which seems like a lot
* already have GFCI outlets if getting robot

Below is drawing but I came home and measured outside and I'm not sure I like how the sunshelf is centered...My lanai has a wall that sticks into the lanai by 2' over on the right (I have no idea why)...the sunshelf is currently centered on the 21.5' width of the lanai but I am thinking it might make more sense to center it based on the opening (19.5') or I am possibly overthinking this (highly likely).
2D pool 2.jpg

Reactions: HermanTX
I have a retaining wall and the plans call for the screen and decking to get as close as 20 inches to the wall. The pool itself will be more like 4 feet from the wall. The wall is about 28 inches tall. Every PB I asked about it said, "it's fine." However, I've seen enough posts on this forum with pools that shifted, cracked, etc b/c the ground wasn't supported correctly. So, should I be asking someone like a structural engineer if this is ok or is a 28 inch tall wall not something to worry about? I have attached pictures but I don't know if they are any help. (The stakes are not in the correct spot, they should actually be 8 inches closer to the wall).
retaining wall 1.jpgretaining wall 2.jpg

Attachments

• wall sketch.pdf
    140.4 KB · Views: 13
@mguzzy You commented on another person's thread about where their pool was being connected into the house power...I didn't want to hijack their thread but was hoping you could help me :) ...these are the 2 boxes that I have...the one outside I can't open because it has a lock on it...is this what the electrician will connect to or will it be the breaker in the garage? box in garage.jpgbox outside.jpg

In the garage. He'll put in a double breaker in two of those empty slots. Then feed a line from there to a sub-panel at your pad, which will have more breakers in it for your pool equipment.

The panel outside is where the 240V feed from the street (or pole) connects to your house.

@mguzzy You commented on another person's thread about where their pool was being connected into the house power...I didn't want to hijack their thread but was hoping you could help me :) ...these are the 2 boxes that I have...the one outside I can't open because it has a lock on it...is this what the electrician will connect to or will it be the breaker in the garage?
What @Dirk said. On my house the main sub panel is outside next to the power utility's meter/panel. My phone and cable are also on that wall. My water and Gas come into the property on the other side of the house. At the time my house was built that was how things were arranged per the local code, in your state it may be different.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.