First pool Tampa area

TampaKathy

Gold Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Tampa, FL
I've been undecided on what depth the sunshelf should be (and I keep second guessing after signing off on the design)...looking at pictures online, holding a tape measure up to me, etc. My boyfriend said that I should have gotten a kiddie pool and a lounge chair and tested out different depths...he was kidding...I thought it was a great idea! So that's what I did today and I feel much better with the depth we are at (15"). :)

Attachments

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Nice. That's exactly what you should have done! Now the tough part is keeping an eye on the whole build process so that you get the depth you want. Those details often get overlooked when you've got a whole crew of guys shooting gunite, and then a second round of guys shooting the plaster finish. An inch or two to them is nothing, but your shelf depth can easily get lost in the shuffle. First step is to alert the PB of what you want, and make it clear to him that you're expecting that dimension to be dead on. Put that in an email, which carries more weight than a conversation. Make sure he knows if it's not dead on, you'll be holding him responsible for the redo. You can sugar coat that communication anyway you like, as long as the depth and your expectations for its execution are clear. If he pushes back and says he can't guarantee the depth, than at least you'll know up front who you're dealing with. I don't know what most PBs would say to that, but I would think a tolerance of ±1/2" would be reasonable.

Just to belabor... I was in a thread where we were discussing how an autofiller would come into play regarding shelf depth. Think about it: if you're manually filling your pool, and are not compulsive about it, your shelf depth could vary by a few inches from day to day, just because of the evaporation. If you don't go out with a hose to top off your pool just before you enjoy it, your shelf depth will likely always be off. But with an adjustable autofiller system, you can set the water level such that it would be at the correct height for your shelf virtally 24/7. If the plaster guys get the shelf depth within 1/2" of your expectation, then you can compensate for any difference by adjusting the pool's water level. Voila.

Sorry, that was a long way to go to describe how to go about keeping the right amount of your butt underwater, but you get the gist... 🤪

Reactions: TampaKathy

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
...My boyfriend said that I should have gotten a kiddie pool and a lounge chair and tested out different depths...he was kidding...I thought it was a great idea! So that's what I did today and I feel much better with the depth we are at (15"). :)
Just like the guys at NASA... run a design simulation. You should have seen some of the quick and dirty things we did just to proof a concept. A chair in a kiddie pool is par for the course!:scratch:(y):goodjob:

• Haha
Reactions: TampaKathy