First pool Tampa area - Plumbing question

its happening the office GIF

The BLUE will lessen to just blue when they start troweling the pebbles at the surface and then acid wash tomorrow.
I hope so...it is just SO blue right now...I just texted my bf, OMG is it too late to change the color?! :LOL:

Well, it is looking less blue so that is good but I shouldn't have looked too close...there are lines down the walls for some reason and one of the walls is kinda lumpy, especially around a light that I guess stuck out too far...but I guess I'm going to be stuck with it and hopefully with it all being underwater, I won't notice it for too long. Maybe the lines will be less obvious after the acid wash...guess I'll know tomorrow, lol. Plaster before acid wash 1.jpgPlaster before acid wash 2.jpgline 1a.jpg

Well, it is looking less blue so that is good but I shouldn't have looked too close...there are lines down the walls for some reason and one of the walls is kinda lumpy, especially around a light that I guess stuck out too far...but I guess I'm going to be stuck with it and hopefully with it all being underwater, I won't notice it for too long. Maybe the lines will be less obvious after the acid wash...guess I'll know tomorrow, lol.
This will look very nice. I am not seeing the lines. It looks a lot like mine but we have Wet Edge Primera Stone. It will look different once they wash it, fill it with water and balance the chemistry. Mine looked greenish initially (after fill) but cleaned up nicely.

Reactions: TampaKathy
Hopefully it's ok if acid wash is Friday...no rain in like a month and now twice within a few days... tomorrow is supposed to be storms so can't see the crews being able to work. My bf is in roofing and they already told their crews no work tomorrow.

All suction openings have to have covers.

The holes look small.

Are you sure that the holes are for suction?

You should have approved fittings.

You can't just put a small grate over the holes.

What size is the plumbing?

How much flow do you need?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think they got a little carried away with the plaster...part of the holes are covered. Yes, it is suction for the water features. It's 2 1/2 inch PVC...connects to 1.5 HP pump. And I don't know the answer to the flow question. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't wrong for thinking there should be something there...I'll see what the PB says. Thanks!

Wait, they put exposed suction lines on the side like that? My entire pool runs on a 1.25HP motor, and there's enough suction at the skimmer to probably deglove someone and break bones if they got their hand stuck there. I can't imagine having even a fraction of that kind of suction exposed on a wall like that... Hence why my skimmer basket is in and the lid is screwed down!

Are your return lines the same, or did they fit the eyeball adapters on them? Those should 100% be in by now, because the plaster goes over them... I'm not familiar with what these fixtures are supposed to look like so I can't say the same there.

If it's supposed to be just the raw pipe, then they'll chip out the plaster that's in the way. My light niches had plaster in them, and the acid wash guy just cleared it all out.

Building up the plaster to reach fixtures is what they should do. My two older return lines stick out about an inch or so, and the plaster is built up and curved to reach them. And obviously getting it all perfectly smooth is not going to happen at a normal price level. Even in a house, getting level 5 walls is not something normally done and will be an upcharge.

That line in the last picture, though... I have no idea. My guess is that was the boundary between a couple workers, and they didn't properly smooth it out? Or they waited too long to smooth it out, and one side was too hard to properly work? Is the line sunken or sticking out?

Yes, it is suction for the water features. It's 2 1/2 inch PVC...connects to 1.5 HP pump.

Exposed suction pipes like you have do not meet the Federal 2008 Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act unless they intend to install a SVRS pump or put a vacuum release system on the pump.

You should inquire with the PB on how they will meet the VGBA law.

@ajw22 As an additional question, if acid wash and fill is delayed beyond the normal 24-hour time frame, should TampaKathy be taking any additional actions regarding the plaster? Should it be watered like the concrete pour to hydrate, since it is concrete after all?

Unfortunately I probably did not give as much attention to pumps and HP as I should have...there was just so much to learn as a first time pool owner that I hoped the PB got that right, lol! For the pool I have a 3 HP VSP and the 1.5 HP is just for the water features. I am doing an in-floor cleaning system (I know those are not well liked on TFP) so the water comes back thru them in the floor. I did also get the optional wall returns but those will have swing jets, not be "normal" returns. I got those b/c it was suggested on here to have wall returns as a backup in case the in-floor system needs to be abandoned.

While we were discussing this, a guy from the pool company came by...he "thought" he was just dropping something off, lol, but instead he got hit with questions, haha...he said that they will put fittings in there after they start up the pool (I have no idea why they are doing it then but wasn't going to grill him). So I guess I will just wait and see but good to know that something is required...I was concerned that they would say that this is correct, but seems like I just need to be patient.

@ajw22 As an additional question, if acid wash and fill is delayed beyond the normal 24-hour time frame, should TampaKathy be taking any additional actions regarding the plaster? Should it be watered like the concrete pour to hydrate, since it is concrete after all?

It should be okay if they get the rain forecast.

Problem with watering is the water will pool in the bottom and can lead to uneven staining lines between the areas in water and out of water.

Reactions: KCNM and TampaKathy
It should be okay is they get the rain forecast.

Problem with watering is the water will pool in the bottom and can lead to uneven staining lines between the areas in water and out of water.
Great, it has rained some already...the pool guy that came by claimed that the crew is going to come acid wash today still...there are thunderstorms in the forecast though so I'm not sure I like this idea.

Great, it has rained some already...the pool guy that came by claimed that the crew is going to come acid wash today still...there are thunderstorms in the forecast though so I'm not sure I like this idea.

Better they do the acid wash around the TRW and get water into the pool.

Thanks everyone :) I'm so ready for this to be done. The office called to schedule pool school for 2 weeks from now and I was like, "2 weeks?!" But then I figured I'm learning all I need to know from TFP so I just said fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.