First pool setup and filled, trouble getting water clear

Clorox contains Cloromax. That is not suitable to be used in pools. Look for plain bleach or liquid chlorine. Walmart carries Pool Essential Chlorinating liquid, 10%. In the pool section.

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

You can purchase CYA aka Stabilizer aka Conditioner at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, Pool stores, etc.

If your initial test at least made the dot 'grey' it means you have some in the water. Most likely the 'shock' and 'brite sticks' were dichlor/trichlor which are chlorine and CYA. So add 20 ppm CYA granules using the sock method.
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

For FC, once you start the CYA dissolving, add enough liquid chlorine to get to 12 ppm. You can get liquid chlorine at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, pool stores, farm stores, cleaning supply stores, etc. Use PoolMath (you have the app). Enter your most current test, include the expected CYA of 30 ppm, go to Overview, touch the FC, select SLAM, and see how much liquid chlorine (you must select the %) it states to use. You will then test your FC and add liquid chlorine multiple times per day until you pass the three criteria described in the SLAM article.

UPDATE-

We added the stabilizer yesterday and there is still a little left in the socks. We have also added an entire gallon of chlorine over the course of the day yesterday and this morning.
I redid our tests this morning and these are the new results

FC- 3.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 4
CYA - 30

There is still what looks like algae on the bottom of pool but no where near what we've been seeing. I vacuumed yesterday afternoon as well and the slippery feeling isn't as bad as it was.

Ive looked in the pool math app but do not see how it is calculating for me to figure how much chlorine will give me 12ppm. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong in the app or if I'm missing something.
But I'm happy that we got the CYA up to 30, now how do you keep it at that level, do we continue to keep stabilizer in the pool indefinitely or do we add it weekly as needed?

You need to enter and save your test results in the app. All I see are chemical additions.
Be sure to tap the check mark in the upper right after entering the test results.
Then touch the FC in the Overview page. It will take you to a screen to determine how much chlorine to add. Select the SLAM button, your Target FC should go to 12 ppm. Tell it what strength bleach you are using, and it will tell you how much to add.

Pump needs to be on 24/7. Add the bleach to get to 12 ppm. Re test in a few hours and add more bleach to get to 12 ppm. Keep repeating until you pass the three criteria shown in the SLAM Process

You need to enter and save your test results in the app. All I see are chemical additions.
Be sure to tap the check mark in the upper right after entering the test results.
Then touch the FC in the Overview page. It will take you to a screen to determine how much chlorine to add. Select the SLAM button, your Target FC should go to 12 ppm. Tell it what strength bleach you are using, and it will tell you how much to add.

Pump needs to be on 24/7. Add the bleach to get to 12 ppm. Re test in a few hours and add more bleach to get to 12 ppm. Keep repeating until you pass the three criteria shown in the SLAM Process

Thanks for those instructions on saving tests, I didn't realize that was there I thought logging it was saving it. I have saved a few test results as of now. We're not seeing anymore algae streaks at bottom of pool, nor is it slippery/slimy any longer.

The only thing I have not done from the three criteria for SLAM is the overnight chlorine loss test. Although we have passed the other two of the three criteria.
I will do the overnight test tonight.

I must say our water looks crystal clear right now, so I'm very pleased with that. My only other issue now is the TA, it seems very high should that be a concern?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.