Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I started last summer and in my climate and sun I was using approx. 1/2 gal of 10 percent bleach every day with 50-60 CYA. Once it cooled down I let the CYA drift down and started only adding 1/2 gal every 3-4 days. This kept my levels good. Now (in Houston) we are just starting to see temps consistently in the low 80s and I am wondering when I need to go back to summer chlorine addition and bump up CYA? When/how do you guys gauge that? Is it a temperature or do you gauge CH usage? I have a tiny bit of algae in my waterfall rock, which is always a troublesome spot anyway. Some of those spots are near impossible to clean. Other than that the pool is clear. I added CH sunday so I was going to check my water tomorrow and see what I've lost. I was considering doing a SLAM and then going back to 1/2gal a day here shortly, just don't want to do it too soon since it is 4x the bleach usage. Any thoughts?

I am wondering when I need to go back to summer chlorine addition and bump up CYA?
Each pool is different really. Regardless of the temps though, we always go back to the FC/CYA Levels. Our weather is almost identical, and my water temp has crossed into the lower 70s. That means a higher potential for organic activity and algae. A couple months ago, a 1/2 gallon of bleach would sustain a good FC level for 4-5 days easy in my pool. Now, I check my FC level at least every couple days. When to increase your CYA depends on how much direct sunlight your pool receives and our local temperatures. Right now I'd say a CYA of 30-40 should be just fine. Once the water temp hits 80 or more and the sun becomes more vertical over us, 40 would be the minimum. Of course once the oven door opens and it's May - Sep, a CYA of 50 is almost a necessity if your pool gets lots of sun. I sometimes take my CYA to 60 as well.

So just keep an eye on those with your TF-100. But I will say this .....make sure you have NO excessive organic activity that could point to algae before increasing the CYA. Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if needed to be sure. In my 18K pool (full sun all day), a 1/2 gallon is what I need each day in the hottest of months. Your pool is a bit smaller, so I would think you could go with a little less chlorine. So just make sure something's not brewing in the water.

Well I didn't lose and CH overnight but I was down to 2FC/0CC which is way too low, so the 1/2gal every few days isn't cutting it anymore. I am going to run trichlor tabs this week to chlorinate and bump up my CYA to 50. Then I'll be back to summer time bleach addition I suppose.

Hey I just noticed there is a whole section for opening/closing... Ooof sorry guys. I did a good brushing and did find some algae so I am going into SLAM mode before raising the CYA with tabs. Then I will be on normal summer time CH addition. I did notice that the water was a lot warmer to the touch than a few weeks ago. Don't have a thermometer but its enough for me to officially open the pool. I had trouble finding HD bleach at my normal place due to all the panic buying of sanitizing chemicals. First world problems I suppose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.