First Pool and paranoid

A1Texan

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2018
Austin, Texas
Well now that my pool is completed and I'm now responsible for the water I freaked out some :)
I tested my water yesterday afternoon and got the following -
FC 0
ph 7.2
TA 90
CH 250
CYA 0
I entered it into my pool app and added 33 oz of baking soda; 53 oz of bleach; 4 lbs of dry stabilizer. Ran my pump for a few hours and tested it again this morning. Here are my current test results
FC 2.5
ph 7.5
TA 90
CH 225
CYA 25
The SWG is not producing because it's too cold and the pump is running at 50%. Pool temp is 55 degrees. Am I on the right track?

Pretty close. You did not need any baking soda. TA of 50 ppm and above is fine. Let it settle wherever your pH settles.

How did you add the dry stabilizer? If by sock method, it should be dispersed once the material in the sock is dissolved and your pump runs for a while.

Turn on CSI in your app. It is good to monitor that with new plaster.

Thanks Marty. I just sprinkled the stabilizer around. Will use the sock method next time. I was somewhat shocked that I had no CYA. It called for 8 pounds but only added 4. I feared of too much. I have the CSI turned on.

Be sure that dry stabilizer is fully dissolved. If it sits on your plaster it will stain it. NEVER put dry stabilizer in the pool without dissolving it first. That is why we recommend the sock method for dissolving it.

Did the PB uses pucks during startup? If so, you had some to start with. Just hard to see with the test until you get ~30 ppm.

Thanks. They didn't use any pucks so I would guess he didn't add any. The pool guy was only using test strips so nothing real accurate. He even commented that he was impressed with my test kit :) I will make sure and brush the bottom again this afternoon to get everything dissolved. I'll test everything again then and add more if necessary (sock).

How old is your pool? What date was your plaster finished and water added?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New test done -
FC 2.5
ph 7.5
TA 90
CH 225
CYA 25
Salt 2600

Everything pushed to the main drains. I have Muriatic Acid on hand. PoolMath says to add 35 lbs of salt, 1 cup bleach. Skeptical about that much salt.
All should go better. I'm feeling better now. Thanks everyone.

Only add salt if your SWCG needs it. Wait until your water warms up to 60F and then see if the SWCG will generate.

Round up on the CYA. You cannot measure 25. The scale is logarithmic so between 20 and 30 on the scale is not 25.

What should the CYA test with what you added? If you are close, just wait a week or two and test the CYA then and then add enough to get to 70 ppm.

Run your new pool at CYA 30-40 until water is warm enough to turn on your SWG.

What date was your plaster done and water filled?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.