First numbers with kit! New to this and excited to get started!

OscarB

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2018
Mantua/nj
I opened my pool and got the filter running for 24 hours. The pool looks clear with a little haze to it. Here are the number I tested by using my test kit (still very new to it).

FC- 0
PH 7.8
TA 120
CH 100
CYA 65

Using the pool math app, it says to slam it by adding 3 gallons of bleach. Does this seem correct? This may be a dumb question but I have a 5 gallon jug, is there an easy way to accurately pour 3 gallons of it into the pool?

Thank you

Good job on your testing.
The CYA test, did you do it in bright sunshine, sun to your back, etc?
Be sure to round up the CYA value to 70.
With a 5 gallon jug of chlorine you can either eye ball it or get a big plastic measuring device.

Use a plastic pitcher. Or a Tupperware bowl (after you measure it). A metal pan. Just no glass.

A reminder: it wants three gallons now, but it;ll want close to that much again in a couple hours.Your five gallons won't last long. After the first day the thirst should slow down some.

I tested my chlorine levels again, 24 hours later. I now have...

FC 12.2
CC .4

The pool is nice and clear. Am I on the right track?

Thank you!
If you're doing a SLAM, you should have checked and replenished the Chlorine a few times today.

So far you're only one for three on ending a SLAM. Your CC is below .5. Is the water clear? When we say clear, we mean clear. Even after brushing. Nothing showing on the walls. If there's a ladder or steps, how's the bottoms look?
If you're really confidant, then try the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tomorrow morning before the sun hits. I would be very surprised if it passed so soon.

If you're doing a SLAM, you should have checked and replenished the Chlorine a few times today.

So far you're only one for three on ending a SLAM. Your CC is below .5. Is the water clear? When we say clear, we mean clear. Even after brushing. Nothing showing on the walls. If there's a ladder or steps, how's the bottoms look?
If you're really confidant, then try the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tomorrow morning before the sun hits. I would be very surprised if it passed so soon.
Yes, unfortunately I had to work about 16 hours yesterday so I tested the levels as soon as I was able. I will follow up again today.

I finished my first SLAM! Pool has been crystal clear since I opened it and shocked it the first time. Since then (about 4 days ago) the CC level has been .2. I did get a 1.0 once but I think it was due to me being new with water testing. I also passed the overnight chlorine loss test. What to do next? Just allow my chlorine level to trickle down the the target? Safe to go swimming tomorrow? Do I have to address the PH and TA first?

Thank you!

FC 13.4
CC .2
PH 8.0
TA 120
CH 100
CYA - 60

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wait for your FC to fall below 10 ppm to test pH. No need to mess with TA, it will come down as you lower your pH from 8 to 7.6.

Use a 10 ml water sample for FC testing. One scoop of powder and each drop to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

You can swim anytime your FC is below your SLAM level FC and you can see the bottom of the deep end.

Wait for your FC to fall below 10 ppm to test pH. No need to mess with TA, it will come down as you lower your pH from 8 to 7.6.

Use a 10 ml water sample for FC testing. One scoop of powder and each drop to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

You can swim anytime your FC is below your SLAM level FC and you can see the bottom of the deep end.
Thank you so much for your help. I am hoping to have a much better pool season this year because of this site!

Thanks for the tip to test FC using only 10 ml. Way easier!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.