Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi all,

Just discovered this forum as the fam signed our first IG pool and spa contract. We would really appreciate feedback on our design and any suggestions. Thanks!

Specs:
12k gal 16x32 free form gunite
water depth 3-6’ (small kids)
Bullnose coping
Marbelite finish (replaced with ansylbrite quartz finish)
7’ spa + CMP Venturi jets (40 SF) raised 18” stone veneer + 2HP air blower
Sun shelf (80SF 12” water depth) + 3 steps + umbrella sleeve
Deep end 6’ bench
Aquapure 1400 SWG
Gas raypak 399k BTU
460SF pool cartridge filter
Jandy iaqualink/plushp 2.7/vs pump
2 pool leds
1 spa led
Polaris tr36p cleaner (removed)
S200 maytronics dolphin
3 return lines
Anchor solid safety pool cover
600 SF Belgard lafitt pavers
Black 4.5’ Fence + 2 gates

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

So glad you found us...

1. you already did it, ditch the Fusion soft... at 12k gallons the pure 1400 (40k gallons pool) will work great for you... and you will get the warranty

2. get rid of the Polaris tr36p cleaner and get a robot.. pressure side cleaners cost more money because you have to run another pump to clean the pool and you really do not want tech from the 1970's.. A robot can clean your pool for 2 hours and cost 20 cents.. The S200 should do great, give marina pool a call and they will help you through what you want and need..

3. ask for 2 skimmers (preferably where the wind blows) and no main drain in the bottom of the pool

4. point the lights away from the house or seating position so they do not blind you when looking at the pool

Hope this helps :)

4. point the lights away from the house or seating position so they do not blind you when looking at the pool
4.A). Also consider not blinding the neighbors if applicable the same as you wouldn’t with a flood light. Unless they’re jerks. Then take THAT ya jerks !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Shirker
Welcome to TFP :)

So glad you found us...

1. you already did it, ditch the Fusion soft... at 12k gallons the pure 1400 (40k gallons pool) will work great for you... and you will get the warranty

2. get rid of the Polaris tr36p cleaner and get a robot.. pressure side cleaners cost more money because you have to run another pump to clean the pool and you really do not want tech from the 1970's.. A robot can clean your pool for 2 hours and cost 20 cents.. The S200 should do great, give marina pool a call and they will help you through what you want and need..

3. ask for 2 skimmers (preferably where the wind blows) and no main drain in the bottom of the pool

Hope this helps :)
Thank you for the insight on all 4 points!

1) hanks for the confidence boost. PB said it can be done by addendum. Should this be a no cost change or should I expect a delta?

2) I will check these out.

3) There is currently a dual main drain in the spec as well as 3 return lines, but no more details. Will need to do some research to understand this before the second design meeting this wkend.

4) Noted - we have some privacy due to evergreens growing around the perimeter of the yard; should easily block led lights. I will make sure the bench doesn’t have the light pointed at it

Thanks!

not sure but either way make the change :)

Main drains are just not needed anymore, they were mostly used to brush dirt down to the deep end and suck it up... robots scrub and clean WAY better :)

I think I’m the only weirdo that likes the main drains. Food for thought poolparty :

1) awesome to drain water below skimmer for winterizing (and it takes 20 min instead of the all day garden hose submersible pump)

2) circulate the cold bottom water to help (not much but still) warm the pool a little during your short season.

3). Great for sweeping crud out. I did a half drain with a SLAM and brushed the entire time 17k gallons was leaving to waste. It saved SOOOOOOOOOOO much fight.

4) Your pump will never run dry with a skimmer failure or stuck weir doors.

Last edited:
we had our second meeting this morning... some takeaways

1) After three unambiguous and direct requests to remove fusion soft and replace with aquapure 1400, I received “Why are you not interested in the mineral solution,” over zoom. I reiterated my references and research points towards aquapure and that’s what we want. Rep said he will price it out, so I followed up with I need to see a cost breakout with the increase. I don’t understand why it’s so complicated or tense to just go with aquapure and now my wife feels like I’m being unreasonable lol.. any help here is appreciated (counterpoints/arguments)

2) We want the equipment pad (heater, filter, electronics, etc) underneath our deck in a corner. Rep immediately said it might cost more bc heater needs to be 5’ away from any windows/doors. It’s close to a slider but I think it exceed 5’. He also mentioned it would cost more to put the heater on the right side of the pad vs left side.. Has anyone heard of this? It’s about a 12’ equipment pad

3) Rep said pool skimmers are generally on paver side of pool. He pointed to the area closest to where we want the equipment pad so my guess is he wants to minimize plumbing distance. This doesn’t align with the right to left wind direction of our backyard/pool. However, the ideal location is on the sun shelf on the left (entry area) side of the pool. Is there any considerations with putting a skimmer in the sun shelf area?

4) preconstruction meeting to pick out pavers/tiles/ other details face to face is coming up in May.

With that said, we are thrilled with the design that our PB came up with and as soon as we get a plan/drawing we will post for this forums critique / enhancement!

Sounds like they want to put the skimmer closest to pad and do not care where the winds are from.. Make them put them where they will work the best in the down wind position..

A for the SWG, you do not need to give them any reason at all other than you want it and do not want the minerals in your pool.. Copper stains pools and turns hair green, why would you want to add it on purpose to pool water...

Just saw another thread where they wanted the equipment under a deck.. Probably not the best location, put it where it is easy to work on and not duck under a deck unless the deck is over 8 feet tall... You really do not want the heater under the deck and they can be loud when running.. If the deck is where you hang out it may be to loud??

I don’t understand why it’s so complicated or tense to just go with aquapure
Because the PB needs you coming back every 3 months for expensive mineral cartridges. The SWG will keep you out of the pool store and it’s bad for business.
He also mentioned it would cost more to put the heater on the right side of the pad vs left side.. Has anyone heard of this? It’s about a 12’ equipment pad
There is no such thing as left handed or right handed PVC. It can enter on either side and leave on the other.
my guess is he wants to minimize plumbing distance. This doesn’t align with the right to left wind direction of our backyard/pool.
Do not care about how much extra profit they make if it’s easy to do. Care LOTS about living there with skimmers that can’t skim anytime there is a slight breeze. The PB will be long gone and won’t even remember you in a couple years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like they want to put the skimmer closest to pad and do not care where the winds are from.. Make them put them where they will work the best in the down wind position..

A for the SWG, you do not need to give them any reason at all other than you want it and do not want the minerals in your pool.. Copper stains pools and turns hair green, why would you want to add it on purpose to pool water...

Just saw another thread where they wanted the equipment under a deck.. Probably not the best location, put it where it is easy to work on and not duck under a deck unless the deck is over 8 feet tall... You really do not want the heater under the deck and they can be loud when running.. If the deck is where you hang out it may be to loud??
One skimmer would likely work best at the shelf entry area, but I’m curious if the shelf would cause any issues with that.

My proposed pad area has an elevated deck prob about 14’ high above it. It’s my preferred spot, next to a walkout slider from the finished basement, but I am concerned about echo from the equipment since 2 walls are concrete next to where the pad would be. We are not doing pavers under the deck and prob will just put stone there down the road since grass doesn’t grow under it. It’s the only place to have it tucked away out of sight in our HOA community. The backyard is only about 1/3rd of an acre. Both sides of the house (alternate location for the pad) are flower beds 40’ long and visible from the road.

Something else I haven’t looked at closely for aesthetics:
1) tile inlays for ledges / stairs
2) changing / upgrading plaster from base marblelite

The next meeting in May will be covering these items. The tile is currently TBD in contract while the marblelite base is listed. Any pros/cons to consider with the base marblelite? Should I upgrade the marblelite to something slightly more expensive but will pay dividends down the road? I like the idea of inlays around the spa seat, shelf edge, deep end bench and stairs, but I am worried about it being costly.

Update following first face to face (preconstruction) meeting:

- pool (red flags) and spa (blue flag circle) layed out with flags
- side of pool by tree line will be above grade about a foot and back filled with sloped grade
- drawings reviewed and noticed filter system spec is jandy CL 460. Pools lights are jandy hydro cool. first time I saw these (any pros/cons from the SMEs here? Preferred jandy option?)
- Kept being persistent and finally swapped fusion soft to aquapure 1400. Cost increased several hundred
- upgraded to sunstone select sapphire (PB anyslbrite) plaster for a couple grand
- moved pad out front under deck (gives option to extend patio down the road to under deck, closer to gas meter but further from electric box)
- selected Belgarde bullnose sable gray coping and pavers sable slate gray color 400 SF

thanks to the forum I won’t need to change the half grand mineral cartridge frequently!!

schedule is 14 weeks from today but I’m betting double. PB PM mentioned another project just began nearby and that may accelerate my schedule to limit their 1 hr commute to the area.

Attachments

• 9BBA816C-0DB8-4A09-91A9-2E10470035F3.jpeg
    9BBA816C-0DB8-4A09-91A9-2E10470035F3.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 1EBA5AE5-4D62-4DE7-A902-B0CEE19A0BFE.jpeg
    1EBA5AE5-4D62-4DE7-A902-B0CEE19A0BFE.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 469A5E31-5381-41CC-AF9D-1D7FDECE2564.jpeg
    469A5E31-5381-41CC-AF9D-1D7FDECE2564.jpeg
    789.1 KB · Views: 122
  • CEC85C7C-4E9A-4F08-95E0-F662DD59F537.jpeg
    CEC85C7C-4E9A-4F08-95E0-F662DD59F537.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
nicely done, you have to stand your ground on what you want... That will help you out with another pool being built close... :)

Thanks! I also am going the robot route rather than the quoted Polaris - leaning towards warrior SI to have the automation piece. Anyone have experience with this and lead time from marina pools and spa during purchase?

Permit is in and waiting on approval so dig can get scheduled!

Looks like you are off to a great start.

water depth 3-6’ (small kids)

Do a search for posts on depths, there are a lot of great discussions on here about it. They do not stay small for long... 3' is not conducive to swimming (we went from 4' to 4.5' for shallow end), we started at 6' then changed to 8' for deep end, and I am very glad we went with the 8'.

Sun shelf (80SF 12” water depth) + 3 steps + umbrella sleeve
Our shelf is 12" and we think it is perfect. Do some searches some for umbrella sleeves as well. They put ours dead center of shelf and we rarely use it there. You really need to get out there in the swim season to see we're the umbrella will work the best. It turns out ours would have been best placed in the patio to give the best shading for sun shelf.

Last edited:
Looks like you are off to a great start.

Do a search for posts on depths, there are a lot of great discussions on here about it. They do not stay small for long... 3' is not conducive to swimming (we went from 4' to 4.5' for shallow end), we started at 6' then changed to 8' for deep end, and I am very glad we went with the 8'.

Our shelf is 12" and we think it is perfect. Do some searches some for umbrella sleeves as well. They put ours dead center of shelf and we rarely use it there. You really need to get out there in the swim season to see we're the umbrella will work the best. It turns out ours would have been best placed in the patio to give the best shading for sun shelf.
These are excellent points. I’ve been juggling the shallow end depth for awhile now. And am probing 4-4.5’ shallow end change for cost. Any idea what a reasonable increase would be for the northeast on the specs above?

I will scout out the sleeve placement for the best location depending on time of day. For our pool location, we get like 90% sun over the course of the day so ideally we’d have one location for morning and another for afternoon.

It matters with your steps, and how much both you and the PB want to amend the plans.

To accommodate the extra step (or 2) they would need to push back the sun shelf accordingly and that may need new/amended permits depending on how far along it is in the process if they have to change the footprint.

Or they would have to put the extra steps on the inside of the pool which would be toe stubbers when moving down that side.

The PB might just be saying they don’t do it because they know what headaches and delays they will get from both the town and the customer at this point. It’s easier to say they don’t, then to say they can but it will suck for both of you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.