First complete water test with TF-100

rpampt

Jul 11, 2010
Complete Newbie here. Pool is about 1 month old, lurked around here a bit before joining. I just received my TF-100 test kit and will list my numbers below. I'm presently using a cannister type chlorine feeder for convenience. At least until I get the decking, landscaping and yard back in order. I'm moving a 28' x 40' pool deck in 4 pieces and going to install around my pool. Some adjustments will be necessary for sure. So I'll be spending a lot of time on it for awhile. I like the idea of the BBB method, excluding the required extra storage for the liquid chlorine. But my plans are to switch to that at some point. Below are my test numbers, please let me know if anything looks awry. I've read pool school and lots of other stuff, still trying to digest it all. I'm happy to be here and soak up the knowledge that folks share here on a regular basis.
FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
PH 7.7
T/A 30
CH 300
CYA 35

I'm going to try and work the PH down closer to 7.5. OK, here's a question. When reading the PH if I look at the reading in natural light, it looks a bit higher (darker). If I hold it up to the light is seems lighter and closer to 7.5 What ya think?

Your numbers are good - keep your FC no lower - refer to the chart.

Put a white background behind the PH comparator tube (is there one inside the little blue box) and hold it up in the bright light... I wouldn't worry about the PH unless it goes higher than 7.8. (which it prolly won't if you keep using tabs).

You do need to raise your TA though. Target 100 if you plan to keep using tabs. Don't be alarmed if the baking soda increases the PH a bit. It won't last - as the tabs are aciding and will lower the PH and TA.

I don't keep that much bleach on hand, maybe a jug or two, at the most 4, when I get a case of 12.5% from the pool store.

I'm baack! Been doing the pool thing for a couple months now and have a little more of a handle on what to do. Here are my numbers from 7/11. Only problem was the TA was 300 not 30. I worked it down over about a week or so with PH down and aeration to raise the PH back up. I just turned my return nozzle to the surface and that was enough to do it. Haven't had any need to shock it yet. I did dump some extra liquid chlorine in before leaving town for 3 days, just to be safe.
FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
PH 7.7
T/A 30
CH 300
CYA 35

Here are my most recent numbers.

FC 5.5
CC 0
TC 5.5
PH 7.5
T/A 120
CH 280
CYA 40

My CYA has help pretty steady for using the pucks in the chlorinator. We have gotten a bit of rain and I've drained enough water off I guess. When backflushing the filter I give it a bit of extra time too. I've added water by hose a few times too.

Did have an issue with the FC level dropping, but it was from the filter getting dirty and not circulating enough water through the chlorinator. Once I backflushed it, FC came right up.

I'm breaking up 3 to 4 pucks and putting them in the chlorinator and that seems to last around 10-12 days. Seem reasonable?

I must say, this sight has been invaluable so far. I'm sure it will be even more so when I run into my first (crisis).

rpampt said:
I'm breaking up 3 to 4 pucks and putting them in the chlorinator and that seems to last around 10-12 days. Seem reasonable?

If these are typical 7 oz pucks - 4 pucks over 10 days is about 1.1ppm FC use per day. That's reasonable for a clean pool. 3 pucks over 12 days seems low - Is your pool shaded or covered?

It's full sun just about all day. I'm just estimating that 10-12 days number. Maybe I need to write down when I add new ones and keep an accurate check.

I will say I tried stacking a bunch of them probably 7 of them in a canister, without breaking up a few and not enough water was able to circulate through the canister to dissolve them. FC would drop off, so I had to take them out and break them in halves and put them back in.

I'll try and time the next couple changes and get a more accurate count of usage. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.