TXBob

Sep 10, 2021
La Vernia TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am in the finishing stages of my build and my PB brought out and hooked up the equipment. I have not been able to find a lot of reviews or any other useful info about the brand through many searches and I had never heard of this brand and was wondering what experiences others have had with it.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
It had Pentair on the contract, but I am willing to keep an open mind if the gear is decent. I've had issues with both Pentair and Hayward in the past. I am just not sure if this is a new brand that is an up and comer or what... has Made in USA all over it for what its worth.

Thanks,
Bob

All of the manufacturers are getting pushback from dealers due to internet sales, so they create a "Pro" line that is exclusive to wholesale, but it's basically the same equipment.

It's more optics than anything.

Basically, the exact same equipment with a different label.

1632189138920.png

1632189216949.png

Reactions: lpmail
Interesting. Thanks for that. I found their website and a few wholesalers but I guess I am looking for experiences about the durability and ease of repair, if necessary, from folks who have this gear. I am not opposed to giving something a try, just want to go in eyes wide open...

Thanks again,

Bob

100 sq ft is tiny for a cartridge filter.

I would want at least 400 sq ft.

Waterway is a known brand, but I would not consider them to be quite as good as Pentair, Hayward or Jandy.

I suspect that Waterway (aka First Choice aka B & S Plastics, Inc.) gets a lot of their stuff from China even though it is "manufactured" in the USA, whatever "made" or "manufactured" means.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It had Pentair on the contract, but I am willing to keep an open mind if the gear is decent.

If your contract says Pentair I would want Pentair equipment. Or a significant refund.

And while you are changing your filter get a larger one.

What filter specs was in your contract?

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it just says "properly sized". The only spec I remember was a variable speed pump. We had discussed this at length and I, naively thought we were on the same page.

The pool is a 15X30 roman style, no spa or water features, just a decent pool to relax in. I was a little curious about the filter and pump but was assured it would do the job and that the cartridges were very inexpensive and easy to clean.

Thanks,

Bob

First choice is Pool and electrical products PEPs sticker but for the most part it’s all waterways, filbur, and I’m sure a few other products. It’s usually the less expensive stuff at their store that they slap their sticker on. By no means is it Pentair. But I’ve grown fond of waterway filters. Similar to how Leslies slapped their sticker on some Hayward products or sometimes PB will have their stickers on different equipment.

Reactions: JamesW
I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it just says "properly sized". The only spec I remember was a was assured it would do the job and that the cartridges were very inexpensive and easy to clean.

It will and with that small cartridge filter you will be doing it frequently. Which is why we recommend getting a large cartridge filter so you only need to clean it once or twice a year.

Reactions: JamesW
So, First Choice is a brand of Pool & Electrical Products LLC.

It seems to be mostly made by Waterway as private label equipment.

The line seems to have been started in 2013.

Thanks to all, once again, for all the great information. I am going to discuss this with the PB next time he is out and see what he has to say about it. I am actually leaning toward giving it a shot, but that will depend on him and what he is willing to do.

For comparison on the filter size. Mine is a pentair 200sqft. I wish it was bigger. I get 45 days or so before needing to rinse it. I do have 2 dogs swimming daily, but I also catch their hair in a skimmer sock.

I have discussed, at length, the equipment issues with my PB and I guess its on me.

The contract actually said Pentair skimmer, vs pump, filter, lights, etc. meaning the fact that the only thing I have that is Pentair is a skimmer IS what the contract said.

Yep, buyer beware! We had discussed Pentair and Hayward at length during the initial pre-contract stages so I naively thought that was what I was getting when I saw the contract.

Hopefully someone will read this and make sure they get the specifics, model numbers, manufacture, etc. in writing.

On a brighter note, the pool is full and the filter is running. It was sucking air through a fitting on the front of the pump, but that got fixed today. I must say, the pump does seem to be doing its job and very quietly at that so we will see. Also, the PB did agree to swap out the 100 sqft filter, if I wasn't happy with it after a couple of months, so there is that...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.