First chemical check using TFP system

Soileau

Jun 6, 2019
The Woodlands, Texas
Just checked these using T-2006c. Need advice on what's next.
FC 3.2ppm
CC .2
PH 8.0
TA 300ppm
CH 70
CYA guessing 30ish. Could barely see dot

Had lots of green so Last week drained pool completely and filled. Have added about 16oz MA 3 times to keep PH down. Last was yesterday. Have 5 pucks in tube by pump.
Water is absolutely beautiful. Couldn't imagine it being any clearer.
Yesterday bought 5 gallon container of bleach. Haven't added any yet.
Pool is 9 yrs old and was using ecosmart copper ionization up until now. Worked ok but it's just too hot in Houston area for that.

Turn off your in line chlorinator, your CYA is 30. According to your signature You do not have a saltwater pool so a CYA of 30 is good. Now just add more liquid chlorine/bleach to raise your chlorine level to 4-6 and maintain that level every day. Do you have the pool math app? It will tell you how much liquid chlorine/bleach to add to reach your target.

Attachments

• 6F6275BF-C9AB-4063-B894-27BADB2D4100.png
    6F6275BF-C9AB-4063-B894-27BADB2D4100.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 10
You can also add some Muratic Acid, again refer to pool math app, lower your PH. Target 7.5. Continuing to do that will start driving your TA down. Eventually your PH will find a happy place and hold.

What's next is adjust pH down to 7.6/7.7

I'd let the pucks you have in the chlorinator dissolve. You'll probably want higher CYA for the Texas sun, 50ish, so you have to decide if you want to buy plain CYA or keep feeding pucks. If you have to go buy whatever, probably best to go for the straight CYA. If you have half a bucket of pucks, then use 'em up. Maybe go to 40 and leave room for pucks while on vacation.

Did you transpose CH & TA? If yes, things are great. If no, you need to raise CH.

Turn off your in line chlorinator, your CYA is 30. According to your signature You do not have a saltwater pool so a CYA of 30 is good. Now just add more liquid chlorine/bleach to raise your chlorine level to 4-6 and maintain that level every day. Do you have the pool math app? It will tell you how much liquid chlorine/bleach to add to reach your target.
Would you mind checking my pool math app results. For target of 5, I come up with needing 63 oz using 12.5% bleach. Is this correct?

What's next is adjust pH down to 7.6/7.7

I'd let the pucks you have in the chlorinator dissolve. You'll probably want higher CYA for the Texas sun, 50ish, so you have to decide if you want to buy plain CYA or keep feeding pucks. If you have to go buy whatever, probably best to go for the straight CYA. If you have half a bucket of pucks, then use 'em up. Maybe go to 40 and leave room for pucks while on vacation.

Did you transpose CH & TA? If yes, things are great. If no, you need to raise CH.
I'll need to buy some CYA then and shoot for 40 save the few pucks I have. Ha unfortunately the numbers for CH & TA are correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let the water circulate for 30 minutes and then test. You are probably going to want to bump that CYA up to ~50 (Texas).

We have similar sized pools, I will tell you that when I was still manually adding chlorine not one time did I measure bleach to the oz. The smallest increment I ever used was "half bottle". It's not worth the effort with 30k+ pools to worry about.

If you are a very detailed oriented person knock yourself out, but I'd wear clothes I didn't care about every time. I'd get some on my clothes every once in a while just pouring it in the pool, never mind mucking with a measuring cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soileau
Confused. I added a gallon of liquid CYA today and I'm still showing around a 30 as was before I added. Also I added 63 oz of liquid bleach and my FC has dropped to 2 from a 3.2 this morning. Any thoughts what's going on here?
Well...Effects Of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath says 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer will raise CYA by 11 in a 34,000 gallon pool.

The test is only accurate to +/- 10 or so, which places you within tolerances and
You haven't even given it 24 hours to disperse and mix

In a perfect world with 50 CYA and everything, you'd still lose 2-4 FC per day. Your chlorine loss is unexceptional for only having 30ish CYA in the Texas sun.

I think it's too soon to panic

1 gallon of liquid CYA raises it by 11 according to the pool calculator. The test is +/- 15. It's important to do it in the same lighting conditions, outside, back to full sun, vial at the waist and 2 fingers holding the top (maximum natural ambient light).

The bleach added ~2ppm (% strength?) to 5, dropped 3ish during the day. Completely normal FC loss You can do this Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) - Trouble Free Pool to see if there is anything else eating chlorine other than the sun.

Yep I panicked. Makes sense. I will check it tomorrow and add if needed.
Well...Effects Of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath says 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer will raise CYA by 11 in a 34,000 gallon pool.

The test is only accurate to +/- 10 or so, which places you within tolerances and
You haven't even given it 24 hours to disperse and mix

In a perfect world with 50 CYA and everything, you'd still lose 2-4 FC per day. Your chlorine loss is unexceptional for only having 30ish CYA in the Texas sun.

I think it's too soon to panic

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.