First AGP, questions on leveling and pad

thedecline19

Apr 28, 2021
Columbus, Ohio
Installing my first AGP, a 24' round. Base is currently compacted gravel (huge project to create a massive retaining wall in a very hilly back yard) which I will be covering with 3 inches of mason sand and leveling. I was planning to get a Gorilla Floor Pad to go over the sand. Does that seems to be a sufficient base plan?

Additionally, any specific tips and tricks on the leveling of sand are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

You could do a gorilla pad, but don‘t have to. How are you doing your cove?

Whoops, I missed that you are planning to use the sand to level. Typically your AGP track is installed on a firm level surface, and the three inches of sand go inside the track once the wall is in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: thedecline19
For a metal wall pool, you usually mound the sand in the middle before you install the wall, but after you set the pavers under the legs. Then install the wall. then rake the sand around, wet it and use a compactor to smooth and level it. You can check it a few spots with a level or straight 2x4. The top of the sand only needs to be as perfect as you like the bottom to be. This is what liner will sit on.
You can build the cove with sand or a foam cove.

Reactions: thedecline19
I'll be getting the foam cove material and using that to build the cove out. Is that what you would suggest? It seemed like the least hassle.
Yep, that’s what I used for mine.

For your compacted base, is it gravel or crusher? One of my favorite AGP set ups on this forum was done with crusher, I believe. Let me find the link for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ours is a medium gravel, but wow that picture is really really nice!

I'm thinking the slightly larger gravel might lead to needing a little extra sand to allow for settlement, but its packed in pretty tight.
Yep, they did a fantastic job with theirs.

Will you be able to sink your pavers level with the hard packed surface? You really don’t want them sitting on top of sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.