Fired pool guy - now what!?!?

NorCalDad

May 28, 2019
Citrus Heights, CA
Hello Everyone,
I have been lurking on this forum for a while and have decided to take a stab at doing my own pool chemical balance.
Pool guy was using pucks and adding liquid chlorine once a week. It’s only been a week on my own and noticed a little algae on the sunny side wall of pool. I checked chlorine level and it was extremely low so I added a couple gallons of liquid chlorine and brushed pool really well and ran pump overnight.
I tested water today and here are my readings.
9 F/C
.6 C/C
8.0 PH
50 CYA
100 CH
Water temp is 80 degrees

I have a couple questions.
Will the C/C drop in another day or so?
Also Calcium Hardness is really low and wondering the safest way to raise it slowly?

Thank you!
Steve

I’m using a Taylor k2006c test kit

What type of pool do you have?

As Marty requested, please put these and other details of your pool in your signature. It helps us help you better.

NorCalDad,

With a CYA of 50 , your Shock FC Level is 40% of your CYA. So, FC needs to be raised to 20ppm
Once raised, to 20, you need run the pump 24/7 and you need to Keep FC At 20. This means testing and adding clhorine multiple times a day. The more diligent you are, the quicker it will be finished.

Before you start, bring down teh pH to teh low 7s. 7.2 would be optimal. Dont test for anything except FC during the slam. All the rest of it is meaningless until the slam is finished.

When the following things are met, you can consider the slam finished.
1. There is no visible algae and the water is perfectly clear. Not almost clear, not pretty clear but perfectly clear. This is where people go wrong and they stop slamming too soon.
2. The CC is .5 or less
3. You pass the OCLT - Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Hit it and hit it hard, and it will go by quick.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You need to brush the pool at least once a day to get the algae out into the water column to the FC can attack it from all sides.

good luck!

Do you think I should add chlorine 1 gallon at a time?

Add whatever PoolMath says your water needs.

Add chlorine and acid 30 minutes apart.

Also, any recommendations for dry acid to bring PH down?

We don't recommend using dry acid in pools. Dry acid contains sulfates which accumulate int he water.

Muriatic acid is better for your water and wallet.

Reactions: NorCalDad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nor Cal DAD, FYI last monday I purchased chlorine at the WalMart in Roseville for $4 for 2 gallons, they are blowing it out at all their stores, The one on Auburn Blvd also had it, It is the 10% .

Reactions: NorCalDad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.