Finishing install of Intex XTR on clay soil - issues with sinking - can you jack it up?

I finished install of a 12x24 XTR frame pool over the weekend. We were happy with the level, used 1/2" foam mats underneath and 1" thick 12x12 pavers under the feet. We did encounter a few issues regardless. Before we cover the feet (pool is at ground level on one side, now cut into slope so other end is about 18" below grade, which we plan on backfilling) I wanted to see if any of one of these minor issues can be alleviated without emptying the pool.

The hose fell out of the pool and dumped some water near one of the feet, and the paver sunk into what became mud. Hard to tell, maybe sunk 1". If you don't know to look for it, you can't really tell and the pool is not really otherwise affected (slight irregularity of the top beam at that location). But I'm wondering if anyone has been successful in jacking up feet to raise the level.

edit: more researching suggests you can not / SHOULD NOT jack it up. Since mine is just one foot and a minor issue, I'm going to backfill with dirt, slope away from pool with plastic sheeting to ensure sufficient runoff, and then cover in river rock or some other ground cover. I think that should minimize any additional sinking that might occur.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I know some members have tried it, but can only confirm it can be risky. Can you post a pic or two just so we can clearly see everything?

If you so a few searches here, you'll probably find a thread or two about it. In the meantime, I'll ask @zea3 and @Casey if they have experience as well. Thanks for posting.

As you can see the second leg from the left has sunk. The leg on the left also is not vertical as it shifted outward (closer to the edge of the paver than I'd like) and has been put into slight shear when the pool grew in length during filling. For this problem, I am considering adding another paver just to the left of the first, just in case the bottom slips. Alternatively I have considered hitting the bottom with a rubber mallet to straighten it out, but I am concerned I may just make it worse. The pool has gotten a lot of use in the last 24 hours so I feel like it has mostly settled into place. But before I backfill it a bit and cover it up, I want to make sure I've done everything I can/should do to ensure a reliable long-term installation.

Thanks for the pics. Okay, let's see what others have to say about "impromptu lifting" techniques, or if it's even worth the risk.

By the way, your profile location is blank. Where are you? Will you be closing the pool this winter, or does it stay open in your area?

Thanks for the pics. Okay, let's see what others have to say about "impromptu lifting" techniques, or if it's even worth the risk.

By the way, your profile location is blank. Where are you? Will you be closing the pool this winter, or does it stay open in your area?

I thought I added that, but I'm in coastal Southern California, so it's a permanent install.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I’ve now backfilled half of the pool including half of the “buried” side. Putting the same 1/2” foam mats against the pool liner to mitigate risk of rocks abrading or cutting. But have not buried the offending legs as pictured. Any advise to fix or at least stop this would be appreciated.

Buried the legs? Not sure I have seen or read anyone doing that. Would be wary about it rusting quicker and more so if the paint is scrapped and have unprotected metal exposed.

Reactions: Windylou
Buried the legs? Not sure I have seen or read anyone doing that. Would be wary about it rusting quicker and more so if the paint is scrapped and have unprotected metal exposed.
I'm doing it! I think it will be fine for the period of time this pool would be up. I will be filling it with a slope and runoff sheet so it should stay quite dry. It is clay, so it's going to maintain some water content, but I can't see it not lasting for at least as long as the liner lasts here in Southern California year round in full sun.

I wouldn’t mind seeing of the burial. I have the same pool & I have to agree, that makes me nervous. Mine is recessed into the ground, but I built a retaining wall around it so nothing is actually touching the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't jack that pool. That frame will bend under the emense pressure of water. If you're seriously worried about it, then drain it n fix it the right way. I cant even tell it's out of level from the angle of the pic.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thank you @Casey @Windylou. The soil I backfilled with was very dry, although some areas got wet after. I'm going to try to let it dry out as much as possible, let it settle, add plastic sheeting away from the pool for 2' and cover in bark nuggets to absorb water and allow runoff. In theory the legs should not see much water permanently. Even if they do...they should survive as long as the liner IMO. Also, I used 1/2" EVA foam pads along the side walls so basically no dirt is touching the outside of the pool liner.

Thank you @Casey @Windylou. The soil I backfilled with was very dry, although some areas got wet after. I'm going to try to let it dry out as much as possible, let it settle, add plastic sheeting away from the pool for 2' and cover in bark nuggets to absorb water and allow runoff. In theory the legs should not see much water permanently. Even if they do...they should survive as long as the liner IMO. Also, I used 1/2" EVA foam pads along the side walls so basically no dirt is touching the outside of the pool liner.
I wouldn’t worry about dirt touching the liner, as long as it doesn’t have a lot of rocks in it. In theory, the legs should last as long as the liner, but I’ve seen where some people had to replace the legs in as little as one to two years. I’m in my third year & I had wanted to replace mine this year just to go ahead & do it bc the XTR is a really big improvement, but it’s looking like it will be a little later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.