Fine dirt in pool

Apr 25, 2017
Tucson
I have a 13 year old pool that I have had for three years. This year I am getting daily dirt buildup (never had it before) in one area of the pool. I have an in-pool cleaning system that may be broken, or is it possible that there is a break in my return flow? Is there an easy way to check both? Thoughts?

Can you post a full set of test results?

Does the dirt brush easily? Or does it 'poof' away when you try to brush it?

You likely have algae. How are you testing?

If CH is 1200, it is time to replace your water.

I am not testing for algae. How do I do that?
I can replace the water, but it does not matter where I live. I have no issues with Ca. I scrape the tiles once a year and all the equipment is fine. I will lower the pH a bit when I start swimming.
Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is from one week (I was gone).

unadjustednonraw_thumb_60f8-jpg.108236

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60f8.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60f8.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 106
If you are passing OCLT and you are convinced the material is dirt, then go to FC target level for maintenance based on your CYA. Vac up the material when it accumulates.

Compromised filter cartridge? Run off into pool from sprinklers?

Or algae. But you are sure that is not the case.

I was hoping it was algae as that is the easiest fix! I am going to see if I can scrape some up and look at it with a microscope. I am heating the pool now so it is warm enough for me to get into it. I am now looking at the in-floor cleaning system as that seems like the next logical cause. I do not know anything about it, so that is another learning curve. I cleaned the cartridge filters a month ago and they looked good. They are about 2 years old so it is getting time to replace them. There is no runoff into the pool. I will let you know what I find out. I really appreciate your help.

My cartridges are 5 years old and just fine. You should not have to replace them at 2 years.

If you can get some of it smear it on a paper towel. It may show some green if algae.

Your CYA is pretty high for a non-SWCG pool. So be aware you need to run much higher FC levels. See FC/CYA Levels

When I inherited the pool about 2 years ago the CYA was well above 300! It is finally down to where it needs to be without adding any. It is a SWGC pool. The Cl was well above 50 and it took 6 months with everything off to get it lowered. The rest of the chemistry was equally bad. Following the advice on this forum I now have everything stable and perfect. I just turned up the salt cell (cycle time) and I will raise the Cl to 5. I called paramount and I will be adjusting my in-floor cleaning system as soon as the pool gets warm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.