Finding the source of my leak - suggestions please?

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
I've dealt with a leak before and ended up hiring a diver who solved my problem but now i'm losing water again and looking for some suggestions since the water loss seems to stop as soon as it drops below the skimmer.

So my first question is can the water table possibly be high enough to stop the leak at that level? I'm in upstate NY and we've had a wet spring but searching on google for my local area gives results of the typical level being 5 plus feet underground. It's been hot and fairly dry for the past week to 10 days.

Assuming it isn't the water table being high my plan is to do a visual inspection of the skimmer and then then the liner around the level where it has stopped. Anything in particular to look for near the skimmer?

If I don't see anything my plan is then to put my gizmo in the skimmer and see if taking the pipe from the skimmer to the pump out of the equation stops the leak. A few years ago I had a problem with a collapsed piece of flexible pvc and replaced the entire line and had to end up using a rubber fernco fitting to make everything fit and I'm thinking that possibly that connection has been compromised.

Any other suggestions?? I appreciate the input!

I think you've already got a good handle on what to check. :goodjob: While sometimes it can be something we repaired recently, this is a new season and there's no telling what may have happened. I have my doubts about the water table influencing the leak, so I'd focus on everything you mentioned above. Curious to know how it goes. Good luck!

Wow. That looks like a cut. I was going to say check the screws on skimmer but you found it. Great find!!

Thanks - My whole outlook on my pool went from miserable with the concept of having to buy a new liner to happy as a clam and swimming for 4 straight days!

Sad part is I had let it drop down once but filled it up because I wanted to get the water clean thinking I would need to have the diver in again. Once it stopped dropping the second time I started at the ladder and made it around to the steps and saw this. The crazy cold, wet spring ruined the early part of the season anyway and my water temp didn't go above 75 until just recently.

Reactions: Marty D
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.