Finding and repairing an AG pool leak.

tnt69

May 27, 2016
Chester, IL
I am pretty sure that I have a leak in my 43' X 21' AG pool. Not a huge leak, but about 1/2" a day. Of course on a pool of this size that is quite a bit of water. I am looking for the best ways to find and repair the leak and welcome any ideas. The pool is surrounded by a deck on about 75-80%, much of which cannot access the walls of the pool. I have recently replaced the filter and much of the plumbing, but I can tell that the leak is not in the plumbing. There are a couple very small drip leaks that I intend to fix in the off season, but these are way too small for this type of water loss.

In that case, if you are sure to have ruled-out anything above ground and feel confident it's in the liner, there's two things to consider:
1 - You could let the water drop a bit to see if it stops. That new waterline would be an indication of where the leak is.
2 - But if the tear is lower or near the bottom, you cant ;et the pool go that low. The only way is to get in there and check. Doing so with the water as calm as possible and perhaps injecting some food coloring near a suspect area can help.

Once you find a tear, the patching process is a DIY type thing as long as the tear isn't in an awkward spot like in a corner, along a seam, or something like that. Last time I did some leak testing, I used a simple syringe and food coloring like the one you see below. Hope that helps.

OK, thanks. Yesterday I got in with a small bottle of Blue food color and checked around. No luck as of yet, will have to keep at it I guess. 30K gallon pool might take a while. Last night confirmed there is a leak and not in the plumbing. I filled the pool back actually above the skimmer line and turned off the pump. After less than 10 hours, I had a water loss of about 1/2 inch. I checked down low yesterday. Today I will check up higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.