Finding a pool cover for my odd pool

Jun 5, 2017
Manchester NH
For several years I had someone open and close my pool. Last year on closing they told me that "it was time" to get a new and better cover. One anchored into the concrete.

So I tossed my pool cover when I opened the pool myself this year.

Now I'm looking for a new cover but really can't find anything that fits.

The pool is 24' from edge to edge and is octagonal (The picture is panoramic so it looks like it has 9 sides). All the round covers I find are for above ground pools and thus don't anchor.
Am I missing something?

It almost looks like my pool should be above ground but there is definitely a concrete pad and I have an in-ground filtration system...though the plumbing seems to be put together by a hack who did not use PVC in the ground.

fa4b4db47dd1a66a8d5fd267f3a63add.jpg

What kind of cover - solid, mesh? Custom pool covers are a little more expensive but a symmetrical octagon shouldn't be too bad.
I'm open to either. Have been doing some research on both and there are pro's and con's. I'm in the Northeast so snow is definitely going to be sitting on top. I think I was going to go with mesh.

I don’t knw who ”they” is, but I think “they” were trying to sell you a custom pool cover like from Meyco ... https://meycocovers.com
My pool person is pretty honest. It wasn't a pool company, but rather a job she has done by herself for years. She didn't want to be part of any install, nor wanted any cut of services.
And to be honest I have little kids so the idea of having a cover that is anchored rather than secured by weights on the pad does seem safer.

So is the answer to just go with a custom pool cover? What about just a square cover. I don't really need it to be the exact shape of the pool do I?

I have a solid Meyco cover that is 17 years old and still serviceable. If you want the best and safest that is the way to go.

I don’t know how you anchored your cover before. I would think any tarp larger then your pool can function as a cover.

I have a solid Meyco cover that is 17 years old and still serviceable. If you want the best and safest that is the way to go.

I don’t know how you anchored your cover before. I would think any tarp larger then your pool can function as a cover.

I think I had a mesh cover that was laid over the pool and then concrete cinder blocks were placed around it to secure it to the pad. An inflatable bubble was put in the center of the pool to hold it up, and every year it deflated :)

Based on the shape of the pool I would suggest a round shape over square. With a square cover you may not have enough concrete to install the anchors in the area where there a thinner band of concrete. I used a Meyco mesh cover for 12 years and loved it. upon opening my pool this year I realized it had deteriorated enough it was time to replace it. I will be ordering a new one very soon.

Based on the shape of the pool I would suggest a round shape over square. With a square cover you may not have enough concrete to install the anchors in the area where there a thinner band of concrete. I used a Meyco mesh cover for 12 years and loved it. upon opening my pool this year I realized it had deteriorated enough it was time to replace it. I will be ordering a new one very soon.

Ok thanks for that tip. I was wondering the same thing (going past the edges of the pad)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.