Finally SWG! - Some confirmation that I am not missing anything?

Pauls234

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi All,

Heading into my 11st season as a TFPer and regular reader (sometimes contributor) of these forums so have decent high level knowledge of SWGs. I've been threatening to get an SWG for a couple of years now, but pushed it off last 2 because I am home much more due to COVID and work travel dropped to zero. Plus, I only spend about $200 each season on LC, so I've always been able to think of a better use for that $1000 (now $1500). But, I just bought a new pool (too much rust for my comfort on the current) and will be doing some electric upgrades, so seems like as good a time as any.

Given I have ~22K gallons I know I want something rated for over 40K so that knocks out about 75% of the market. My current system is very simple, heater and pump are standard 3 prong plugs and I use a digital timer for pump run time (I heat on demand). Plumbing is straightforward - pump, cartridge filter, heater, single return line, using flex PVC that has held up remarkably well. Nothing is buried, so I don't think that anything in my current set up is a limiting factor in any way, but let me know if I am missing something.

I've pretty well narrowed to to the Circupool Core 55 (55K gallons) and the RJ 60 Plus (60K gallons). Price is the same, both are available, the 60 produces more chlorine. Seems the advantage of the Core 55 is it is simpler, so maybe less things that can go wrong? And the install is easier because it is all in one? What does that mean? The controls and the actual generator are one single item instead of two with the RJ series? I would plan to DIY, but they both seem simple enough. Do they need a hard wire installation or just a standard 3 prong plug?

Anything in my current set up that I should be considering in purchase and installation of an SWG? I'm ready to buy that RJ today before the rest of the North realizes that summer will actually come this year.

Thx!
Paul

+1. The 40 won't do you wrong in Chicago. It will be more than enough to keep up the few hot weeks, and it will LAUGH at all the warm weeks.

Going up a size to 60 costs 20% more and gains 50% more life. It will produce the same FC daily in less time which gives you more options for pump runtime. Less runtime saves lifespan used, and electricity. 2 things to consider in favor of upsizing.

Thanks, I will take a closer look at the Edge series. All of the recommendations to get something "at least 2x actual size" made me skip right over all those rated for 40K, though I am still leaning towards the RJ 60 due to value of 20% more cost for 50% more life.... plus my new pool ended up being about $2K less than I expected so higher cost is already in the budget. (I know, I might be the first person in the last 2 years on this forum to be surprised on the downside of the cost of something pool related!)

How does pump speed (hi/low) impact how much is generated? In Pool Math I saw where I can change chlorination from LC to SWG, but did not see where I would indicate pump speed or any other relevant info such as type of SWG, etc?

Pump speed is irrelevant. If the unit gets enough flow to turn on, it produces X fc per day. It uses on/off cycles to achieve, say 50% production.

However, with a smaller pump and a heater you may not get enough flow on low speed to turn the unit on and have to use high speed. At that point the larger unit would be awesome saving several hours of runtime a day. (12 hours down to 8)

but did not see where I would indicate pump speed or any other relevant info such as type of SWG, etc?
Click on FC and select SWG for chlorine type. That pulls up this menu
Screenshot_20220328-185018.jpg

Click on the hour glass to the right to see all the models outputs and enter them into the field to see how long you would need to run at 100% / 75% etc to achieve your desired FC gains. 24 hours at 50% is the same as 12 hours at 100%. You can adjust either variable to your needs to fine tune it further than the cell goes (usually 20 or 25% increments)

I installed a 120V plug on my edge and just use a smart plug. My pump runs from 8am to 10pm ( only because I like the water fall ) and have been turning my edge down little by little. Its only running 8 hours a day now my FC was 9 last check. I will crank it down a little more until the water temp goes up..And with the smart plug I can change it form any where.

Pool math is a great start but it requires some experimenting :)
But once you get it dialed in ( don't shot for the min ) you can fly to the moon and come back 2 months later and it will be the same :)
I think that's my favorite part and a close second is the feel
I think Its Jim who says " you feel like you need a shower after swimming in a "chlorine" pool but when you get out of a salt pool you feel like you took a shower "

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
However, with a smaller pump and a heater you may not get enough flow on low speed to turn the unit on and have to use high speed. At that point the larger unit would be awesome saving several hours of runtime a day. (12 hours down to 8)
This has me a little nervous.... I got my 2 speed pump to run it on low so would hate to have to run it high for any extended time for the SWG to work. I know head loss on every system is different but any anecdotes about members running their pumps and SWGs on low? I did a search, but just about everything I came across was as it relates to VS pumps and RPMs. I have a 1.5 HP 2 speed.

Thanks Mark, next step is thinking through the electric and plumbing configuration.

I did a search, but just about everything I came across was as it relates to VS pumps and RPMs. I have a 1.5 HP 2 speed.
Mine was 3HP so I have no direct experience with the 1.5s and SWGs. Hopefully some folks will chime in with similar setups.

This has me a little nervous.... I got my 2 speed pump to run it on low so would hate to have to run it high for any extended time for the SWG to work. I know head loss on every system is different but any anecdotes about members running their pumps and SWGs on low? I did a search, but just about everything I came across was as it relates to VS pumps and RPMs. I have a 1.5 HP 2 speed.

Thanks Mark, next step is thinking through the electric and plumbing configuration.
What is your filter pressure on low speed? I have had mine down to 3 psi and the swg didn’t complain. All depends on your setup I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I looked through my logs and it appears that I never documented my low speed pressure, but 3 is really low so that is promising. The return line, once it passes through the heater, is only 12 foot run or so and is pretty straight so thinking that should minimize head loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.