Finally started pool construction!!

Aug 25, 2016
Westchester, NY
Well after a nightmare of about three years with getting ripped off from my first pool company, to fighting the town over the mess they left, to finally getting permits issued to my new pool company!!!! It’s been a long fight but we are finally moving in the right direction.

We are up in the north east part of the country in northern Westchester, NY. We are getting an 18x36 gunite pool with auto cover, heat pump (no natural gas), SWG, 3 feet to 6 feet and about 1000 sq/ft unilock patio And Pentair equipment.

I’m looking for any and all advice on the build Such as:
What type of finish is best? Pebbletec or similar?
Pentair equipment models?
LED lighting (I think there was 2 in the plans?)
Will Unilock pavers stand up to salt water?
Any equipment or things I should make sure get installed when they rough in the plumbing/electrical?

Thanks for any help!!

Alrighty! Sorry to hear about the previous pool attempt mess.... It will be all the sweeter come August when you're soaking in the pool though.

Are you sure about 3' water depth? Far too shallow to finish a lap in. Make it 3'6" at *least*.

An 18x36' pool might well need a 3rd light. No, let me clarify.... I would say it does! LEDs while nice, don't throw off as much light as the old fashioned bulbs, IMO.

You don't mention a robot.... will you get one? They are far, far preferred over suction or pressure cleaners that require the pump to be one to work or worse yet electricity wise- a booster pump. Just have an outlet placed near the pool for one, midway if possible.

Pentair products gets good feedback from folks here.

Pebbletec can be said to be a bit "rough" on bare feet.... get a smooth/small pebble surface if possible.

Maddie :flower:

I agree with Maddie........so glad you are finally moving forward after the nightmare of before!

I would also think about moving the 3' to 3' 5" or even 4' as like Maddie said 3' is way shallow. If you move to 4' the slope to the 6' will be less.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the replies! I will definately talk to them about making it 3’6” at least in the shallow end. For some reason I thought 3m would be deep enough.

I’ve read about robots and am interested in any suggestions on a model? Also what does the pool builder have to install now so I can make use of one? This is my biggest concern is getting everything in now for any future use or upgrades down the line. I didn’t know the robot needed a electrical plug. Can a plug be put in ground level near the pool or do most run an extension cord over towards outer patio?

Robot pool cleaners come with a 30’ to 50’ electrical cord. You need an outlet between 5’ and 10’ from your pool to plug it in and the robot be able to reach the length of the pool.

You should not power a robot with an extension cord for safety reasons.

Your power plug for the robot should be near the end of the pool which the auto cover will close last presumably that's the shallow side. This way you can run the robot with the cover closed and insert the cable at the end of the cover.
Heatpump:
Not sure I'm in agreement here. I live just north of the tappan zee and it will not work in the early or late part of the season which we call shoulder seasons. If you want to extend your swimming season for a longer total swim experience it will not satisfy the temperature demands. You say no NG but,, LP (propane) can and will work. Get yourself a 1000 gallon tank and your set for good heat. Heat pumps thrive in warmer climates where the ambient air doesn't drop too much but here in the spring or early fall the temperatures are too cool and temperature rise will be a drag.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't see any heat pump that will be able to heat a pool that size in the area you are other than in the middle of summer. A heat pump will not be able to keep up during the colder months. It will have to run continuously, and that means the pump will most likely need to run around 75%-80% to maintain flow to the heat pump.

The colder it gets, the less efficient the heat pump is, the longer it has to run, the more it costs... and the cycle begins again. My pool was 18x36 in GA (18,000 gallons) with a 140K heat pump. It couldn't keep it heated from October to March, and ran A LOT in April and late September.

In Florida, my 144K heat pump works very well on a 7,000 gallon pool... but that is in Florida. Your heat loss overnight in NY will most likely be in the double digits with a cover, and it will take all day to maybe bring it back to temp. Gas is the only way to go if you are going to heat in NY. It may be expensive, but it will work. I just hate to see you spend $4,000 on a heating solution that doesn't heat when you need it.

Reactions: wireform
Here’s a list of equipment pool builder proposed:
lights - 4 mini savi led color changing lights

filtration system:
520 sq ft Pentair cartridge filter
pentair intelliflo vs+Svrs programmable pump
aquacal heat pump
jandy valves for flow control
polaris 280 automatic pool cleaner
automatic pool filler
intellischlor salt generator 140 with salt
easy touch 8 in house controls

#8 bonding wire for pool patio

maintenance kit
8’-16’ telescopic pole
wall and floor brush
dpd test kit
startup chemicals and orientation

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also shows two surface skimmers, two main f]drains with safety anti-vortex covers, three directional returns, one built-in automatic cleaner line, all piping 2” schedule 40 rigid pvc. Coverstar auto cover with salt resistant track and waterproof box, swim outs 2’x6’ internal of pool, set of gunite steps with 1” 1” tile trim.

Here’s a list of equipment pool builder proposed:
lights - 4 mini savi led color changing lights

filtration system:
520 sq ft Pentair cartridge filter
pentair intelliflo vs+Svrs programmable pump
aquacal heat pump
jandy valves for flow control
polaris 280 automatic pool cleaner
automatic pool filler
intellischlor salt generator 140 with salt
easy touch 8 in house controls

#8 bonding wire for pool patio

maintenance kit
8’-16’ telescopic pole
wall and floor brush
dpd test kit
startup chemicals and orientation

Filter is good.
Aquacal HP is good
Jandy valves are good
Autofill is good.
IntelliChlor IC40 is good if your pool volumes is under 20,000 gallons
ET8 is good

@Jimrahbe says this about the SVRS feature of the IntelliFlo pump -

The worst pool decision I ever made was to let my pool builder talk me into the IntelliFlo + SVRS...

The Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS) was designed to prevent entrapment by sitting or laying on the main drain.. It is not really needed any more because all new pools have two main drains connected together, so it is impossible to get trapped. Not only are they not required or needed, but they have a problem going into a false entrapment mode, which shuts the pump off.. Anyone that still has the SVRS pump for sale is just trying to get rid of old stock..

The pump will automatically shut off at any sign of suction changes.. Just closing the filter air relief valve too quickly will cause the pump to stop.

Never, ever buy any pump with the SVRS option..

The IntelliFlo is a great pump, just not when combined with the SVRS.

Polaris 280 is from the last century. If you want a pressure side pool cleaner get the Polaris Quattro Sport cleaner. Otherwise get a robot cleaner that uses less electricity then the booster pump and lots of folks like. Buy the robot cleaner independently at a lower price then your builder will likely charge.

DPD test kit from the builder is not good enough. You need the FAS-DPD Test kit from either TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C. See Pool Test Kits - Further Reading

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe
P,

Anyone that is selling an IntelliFlo with Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS) is just getting rid of old stock.. NEVER buy any pump with the SVRS option. The basic IntelliFlo pump is the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps, just not the one with SVRS. Don't let the pool builder scare you into thinking they are required. They are not as you will have two main drains and two skimmers.

I have a EasyTouch 8 and love it!!! But.. if I were to build a new pool today it would have the new IntelliCenter.. Almost the same price but much much better. Color display with icons vs. a yellow LCD. 100 programs/schedule vs. 12.. I could go on, but which would you buy, an old cell phone made 20 years ago or a new one made last week, if they both were close to the same price. The IntelliCenter is new and most pool builder live in the past.

Most EasyTouch or IntelliCenter installers will add an outlet to the main enclosure box at no additional charge. This would give you a place to plug your robot in..

The filter is great... I personally like Robot cleaners vs pressure side cleaners.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

I reached out to the pool builder and let him know about the equipment changes. The robot seems like the best option. I’ll have to go research models and brands to see which ones are rated the best. Better to go Pentair or I don’t need to match equipment?

Also asked him to switch over to the Intellicenter and a pump without the SVRS.

Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.