Finally! New Mountain Pond in Pittsburgh Region

May 1, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
We finally got started last Friday, July 23rd! And should be swimming by Saturday, July 7th! My wife took the camera on a trip so I only have the latest pics. When she gets back on Sunday, I can post the "before" photos to show the yard prior to removal of trees and grass. We had to have most of our dirt/rock hauled away (extra cost but builder split it with me) and we hit shale about 4 ft down. Notice the rocky bottom. Fortunately our excavator was good and got through it with the backhoe only, thus avoiding the extra $2500. Backfilling with gravel happens tomorrow. Cement bottom, liner, electrical on Monday. Start filling on Tuesday. Stamped concrete deck on Wednesday. Whew!

Attachments

• 2010-07-26 17.31.52.jpg
    2010-07-26 17.31.52.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 2010-07-26 17.31.56.jpg
    2010-07-26 17.31.56.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 331
Gorgeous! I just installed the same pool a couple weeks ago! I backfilled with existing earth... interesting you are with gravel... that seems better! I was told to wait 3 to 6 weeks for patio to let ground settle. We ran a hose around the permiter and major ground sinking... husband rented bobcat and packed more and will do again this weekend... patio install sometime mid-August.

Can't wait to see more of your pics! Swimming is awesome so far in it!

Mitch, congrats on great taste in pool shapes! :cheers: We are also doing a waterslide but it can't be installed until the concrete decking is installed and cures (about 3 weeks). So...we figured that we wouldn't really be able to use the slide much this summer anyway and decided to wait until next year. The money that we "saved" we used to get the gravel backfill. That way we can be up and running with most of the pool a little faster. At least, that was logic of my impatient brain! I think we can get the concrete poured right away now. Below is another pic of this morning's activity (though the 7:15am start time is probably not endearing me to my neighbors). I plan to smooth over any hurt feelings with a pool party at the end of August :wink: .

Attachments

• July31 Pool Pics.jpg
    July31 Pool Pics.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 276
Mountian ponds are very popular with one of the larger pb's in my area. I think he orders hunders of the pool kits in that shape and saves a ton of money that way. Great looking pool. One of my Customers has the same pool and extreme slide.

Thanks, Jason. It only feels fast here at the end. Waiting from the time we signed up until now was excruciating! :hammer: We loved the mountain pond shape given the contours and features of our yard. I'm very happy with it. We are filling it up now and, with luck should be swimming by Friday or Saturday. The concrete will be started on Wednesday or Thursday. Below are some current pictures...

Attachments

• IMG00009-20100802-0744.jpg
    IMG00009-20100802-0744.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG00007-20100731-1444.jpg
    IMG00007-20100731-1444.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 184
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 184

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.