FINALLY!!! I've Decided to Retire "The Pool Cleaner" for Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus

asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I finally grew tired of my side suction pool cleaner and its addiction to my deep end. I spend hours a week manually sweeping from the shallow toward that end of the pool and I've finally had enough. My new Nautilus CC Plus is scheduled for delivery in a couple days so I'm in preparation mode anxiously awaiting my new pool buddy. Some questions I have are as follows:

1. My side suction pool cleaner connects to a dedicated suction line. It has a safety lock, which broke: https://www.amazon.com/PoolSupplyTown-Rotation-Fitting-Replaces-W400BWHP/dp/B01B46B0Z2 . Naturally, I will no longer need to plug my pool vacuum's hose into this line. Although I can replace this lock, are there any concerns I should consider in leaving this line open?

2. In the summer, and due to the size of my pool, I will typically run my filter pump 10-12 hours a day. My conventional pool mind has always viewed my filter pump as the source that circulated the water, skimmed its surface of top debris, pulled dirty water through my vacuum and drains and to my sand filter, and returned clean water back through the returns. From my point of view - which may be misguided - my new bot radically changes this process. The main filtration point now resides within the bot's internal filtration screens; and the filter pump I've used all these years, and the filter itself, become less important. Is this new perspective accurate? Do I now need to reduce the number of hours I run my filter pump daily? Note: I do not have a variable speed filter pump.

3. I have two drains and one skimmer in my deep end, and one skimmer in the shallow end by some steps. Each skimmer has a float assembly https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1070FV-Float-Valve-Assembly/dp/B004VTG6D6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=389AKL29BXFKM&keywords=float+valve+assembly&qid=1558771904&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=float+valve+Rear%2Clawngarden%2C180&sr=1-1. When my filter pump is running and I swim to the drains in the deep end, I can't feel any discernable suction. I've even taken small debris and sand to test them and the suction was, again, indiscernible. Because of this I've always viewed my pool vacuum as the primary source of water intake for below surface debris and wondered if sweeping debris to the deep end to these drains was fruitful. Because of this concern, I would manually sweep debris in the direction of my vacuum and never towards those two drains in the deep end. Note: I have the opening of each float set at 50%. Even after removing my current side suction vacuum, there will still be days when I want to do a quick manual sweep of my pool in lieu of lugging the bot from storage. But if my main two drains have no suction, won't this be a waste of time?

4. I'm considering making this purchase. Is it recommended: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051BJVQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Any other preparation steps recommended for a first-time bot user is appreciated. I'm equally concerned as I am excited to begin this next chapter in my pool life. :)

Thanks a bunch!!

Hi sundevil.
for your questions, I can make some comments....

1. If you can plug the dedicated suction port, you should. chlorine needs to circulate in water to keep it algae free. It cant do that in an unused pipe with water in it, so that unused pipe could potentially grow algae in it which could be hidden from you. Similar to the space behind the pool light that we so often see on TFP as having algae there and being a source of high CC and leaves folks scratching their head when the rest of the pool is spotless

2. The bot does not replace your filtration. It will only clean what has actually settled on the pool bottom. Dont change anything.

3. Yes

4. A caddy can help keep your bot stored nice and neat but it will put a twist in the cord. Its a personal decision though. If you like it and want it, then get it. I personally found that I used my robot way more than I thought I would, and since the cleaner stays mostly in the pool, the caddy became a dust collector.

5. Don't worry. Be Happy! :)

Reactions: asusundevil
Hi sundevil.
for your questions, I can make some comments....

1. If you can plug the dedicated suction port, you should. chlorine needs to circulate in water to keep it algae free. It cant do that in an unused pipe with water in it, so that unused pipe could potentially grow algae in it which could be hidden from you. Similar to the space behind the pool light that we so often see on TFP as having algae there and being a source of high CC and leaves folks scratching their head when the rest of the pool is spotless

2. The bot does not replace your filtration. It will only clean what has actually settled on the pool bottom. Dont change anything.

3. Yes

4. A caddy can help keep your bot stored nice and neat but it will put a twist in the cord. Its a personal decision though. If you like it and want it, then get it. I personally found that I used my robot way more than I thought I would, and since the cleaner stays mostly in the pool, the caddy became a dust collector.

5. Don't worry. Be Happy! :)
1. Because the existing vacuum suction line opening is located a couple feet below the water line, I don't have to worry about stagnant water producing algae. In fact, when my filter pump is running, this opening is the source for suctioning water through my vacuum. Because that safety lock broke, when I eventually disconnect my vacuum's hose from the opening and run my filter pump, there will be a constant intake of water being pulled from the pump. This is how it would look if the locking mechanism were not broken: Pool Vacuum Vac Lock Safety Wall Fitting Fits Hayward W400BWHP, Pentair GW9530 • $16.29 . Once I remove my existing vacuum and its hosing, should I be concerned with this suction hole being left open when my filter is running?

Once I remove my existing vacuum and its hosing, should I be concerned with this suction hole being left open when my filter is running?

Yes, you should be concerned if its broken. With the pump running, fingers and other stuff can get sucked in. Replace the broken piece with the correct part.... cheap insurance and you never know when you may need to hook a vacuum hose to it to clean out the dirt/silt on the pool bottom after one of our summer monsoon storms.

Reactions: asusundevil
Received my Nautilus Plus CC today. After unboxing it I swapped the installed filter panels with the ultra-fine filter counterpart. Dropped it into my pool about an hour ago and stood watching in astonishment. In over a decade I've never seen a vacuum clean the walls of my deep end and up to the water's surface. When the Nautilus reached the surface, I actually jumped back a couple feet due to the water exhaust spraying unexpectedly - not sure "water exhaust" is the best description. A short time thereafter while watching tv in our master bedroom I heard a loud, foreign noise outside so I jumped up and ran to see what it was. There I found my new vacuum stuck on a step with said "water exhaust" loudly spraying again. I'm sure this is to be expected but alarming and loud nonetheless. I won't be shocked when my neighbor ultimately hears it and sends me a text.

So far, so good. Can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning to a sparkling pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.