Finally getting new plaster!

pH battle:
-Pool Math-how much acid to add to get it down to 7.8
-Add said amount with the pump running on high and brush at least that area
-wait about 15 mins and test again
-rinse and repeat until you get a reading in the 7s!

Good luck and use great care while handling the m.a. Make sure to have something over your eyes. Take your time and don't spill any on anything. Have a hose standing by to rinse anything off just in case there is a spill or such.

Kim:kim:

Kim is tfp osha! :)

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Well, tests this morning of the pool water and my hose water both showed around 150 CH. Still doubting it, I took it to Leslie's and they said it was 170. Pretty much everyone's mind is boggled since this is VERY low for us. Oh well, onward we go. I have the Calcium Chloride to add, acid to add, CYA to add. What order should I do these in? Only thing I've added to the water so far is the sequestrant.

Decided acid should be first. Added a gallon and now I'm at 7.2. going to tackle the CH next. It says not to premix because it gets hot, I'm kinda worried about adding it straight to the pool though. I guess I keep it slow and easy. Need 4 bottles total, going to add one and brush like a maniac.

Finally retested everything after brushing on and off most of the day. pH is at 7.5 which was closer to what I was expecting (I probably tested too soon and it hadn't completely mixed in the pool). That one bottle brought the CH to 200 so I'm going to hold off on adding another bottle until I test again (either later tonight or tomorrow morning) just in case that hasn't fully mixed either. It sure is looking beautiful though, even on this cloudy/windy day.Screenshot_20190415-163447_Gallery.jpg

Well, pH jumped to 7.8 overnight...is this normal? Seems fast to me. Also, today's CH reading is 175 so I'm going to go ahead and add another container of calcium chloride. Brushing brushing brushing...that plaster dust is pretty heavy and doesn't stay suspended in the water long enough to filter through the pump. Today a brush vacuum head should be delivered (thanks Amazon) so hopefully that will help get this dust outta here.Screenshot_20190416-093500_Gallery.jpg

Still battling the pH and CH. Buuuut! I got this super cool vacuum head that has made all the difference in getting rid of the plaster dust. And she's looking pretty good! I'm getting used to her flaws (how can I expect perfection really) and she's looking more beautiful every day. Going to be so hard to stay out for 30 days.Screenshot_20190416-182035_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190416-182045_Gallery.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whaaaaaaat!? Seriously? Yes we were told 30 days. They put very thick layers of plaster on the steps and I'm worried about them. What is a SAFE period of time? Also, plaster dust seems to be gone already. At what point can I put a robot in? (I'm very excited about this as we've never had one. I have handled chemicals AND physically brushing and vacuuming for 2 years.)

No robot/cleaner for 30 days. Don't want any spinning treads sitting in one place on fresh plaster. It's cautious but wise. I also wouldn't have a dog with nails in for 30-60 days either. Our established plaster has a few doggie love marks on the steps as they were getting used to the pool.

But for swimming, similar to what Kim said, for a newly plastered pool (non-pebble), I'd want no plaster dust, chems balanced for a few days and clear water. If that happened by the 7 day point I'd be swimming. We swam at 9 days on similar plaster with some quartz. We also had some filtration issues (busted filter cartridges), so after that cleared, we swam.

Reactions: kimkats
I'm glad to hear that. One of my biggest pet peeves is maintaining a pool I can't swim in (winter...) This morning I added another 5 lbs of calcium....or so I thought. Mistakenly grabbed the stabilizer instead. Oops. Was so frustrated because it wasn't dissolving like the previous calcium additions. Lol well duh. Ended up vacuuming it up after 30 mins of back and forth brushing. Ya live and ya Learn.

Still battling the pH and CH. Buuuut! I got this super cool vacuum head that has made all the difference in getting rid of the plaster dust. And she's looking pretty good! I'm getting used to her flaws (how can I expect perfection really) and she's looking more beautiful every day. Going to be so hard to stay out for 30 days.View attachment 97655View attachment 97656
What brand vacuum head is that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.