Finally getting new plaster!

Jun 5, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I am freaking out. 1) I'm so excited to finally get new plaster. 2) I keep reading different things regarding start-up.

We are getting plaster with quartz. They are planning on filling immediately (is this normal). I am worried about how slow my hose is and how long it will actually take to fill. I am worried about the calcium hardness as we are in Vegas and have VERY hard water. I keep seeing "DON'T USE LIQUID CHLORINE IN A NEW POOL" and I'm freaking out because that's all I know. I'm seeing that you should use a descaler for the first little while. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can remember now. New tile is done and I'm sure the plaster guys will be here any day to finish. Help me get my head to stop spinning please! I'll post pics if I can figure out how to make them a smaller file size.

I have quartz.

Diamond brite brand.

We filled right after they were done. That’s normal. Don’t let water stop at all or you can get a ring around the pool. You can fill with ur hose. Will just take longer.

Others can chime in regarding your fill water cause my water is totally different.

Pretty much you will be brushing after you are filled for 2xday for a few weeks. Your builder should give you a startup. I think chlorine was day 2 for me? There is a startup for quartz which is pretty much the typical plaster startup. It spells out the first 28 days.

It’s not bad. I never had a pool and I did it on my own. My builder didn’t help me at all. Everyone here did. He was there if I needed him.

HI!! We got ya!! I have just what you need! Lots of info for you to share with your PB about how your pool can be started. I have a set of links I put together just for this!
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Ask LOTS of questions and share any concerns. We LOVE to help and teach. :hug:

Jen? You don't have a test kit listed in your siggy..............do you have one?

Kim:kim:

Ok, husband suggest screenshots of my pics to resize them. Let's see how this goes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190411-112908_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190411-112908_Photos.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20190411-112917_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190411-112917_Photos.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20190411-112931_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190411-112931_Photos.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20190411-112942_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190411-112942_Photos.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20190411-113110_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190411-113110_Photos.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 90
Ok. Slowly getting to all your questions. Lol I have the TF-100 and have brand new bottles of everything for a fresh start this season. The builder said he would start the pool once filling started but was happy to let me do it myself since I use trouble free pools (he didn't want to mess anything up). Should I let him start it (he mentioned shock which makes me cringe) or just do it myself? Again, I am SOOOO worried about the hard water compromising the plaster.

Those links should take care of all of that! With your awesome test kit and your background knowledge your new plaster should start great and last a good, long time!!!

Were you there when they were chipping that out? How their ears can handle that I don't know!!

Kim:kim:

As for the quartz, not sure of the brand but each batch will have 3 bags of blue quartz and one of light gray quartz. Very excited to see how this will look since we had Crud plaster and blue paint before. Bought the house 2.5 years ago knowing the pool would need some love. The house was built in 82 and I'm sure the pool was shortly after if not the same year. It's very deep which is rare for current builds in Vegas. And it doesn't look like it's ever been replastered before. But we have very little factual info about the pool, just guesses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh my gosh Kim...it was 8 hours of three if them chipping it out. We were definitely happy to see the end of the day. I'm confused, specifically about the calcium hardness, I've always just ignored that since the recommendation is to drain half and refill and my refill wouldn't help lower it. Help...

Jen you can also look into reverse osmosis. This can cost a bit but that is one way to lower your CH since your fill water is so high.

Do you get much rain in your area? Can you find a way to channel the water off your roof into your pool to do a rainwater exchange???

I will keep thinking on this for you!! :hug:

Reactions: Birdie.jen
Lol...we actually DID get a lot of rain this year, but that was a a month or two ago. I don't anticipate much rain in the near future. Called to see about a pool fill and not only is it extremely expensive (~$600) but they just use the same local tap water I would use. Lol I am thinking about asking my neighbor to let us use their hose and just pay their water bill next month. That would at least cut the time in half. Now to keep looking into the CH issue.

Isn't that the truth! Lol but he loved when I found trouble free pool...brags all the time about how clear I keep the water.

In other news, the supplies arrived for plaster tomorrow. And my neighbor has cleared us using their hose to fill (just going to pay their water bill next month) so that should cut the fill time in half.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190412-094500_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190412-094500_Gallery.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 23
As noted in the Ten Guidelines post linked above by Kim, the ideal scenario is to wait 6 hours after plaster is finished to begin filling pool. Details as to why are discussed in that article which is by a national expert on plaster.

Your PB probably won't agree, so you will have to make the final call. It's your pool.

Reactions: Birdie.jen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.