FINALLY figured out I have Mustard Algae!

When I started the TFPC method it was because I was being pool stored and had thrown so many dollars into my pool because I had what I thought was plain old algae. I did my research and slammed my pool only for the algae to return 9 days after finishing the slam so I slammed it again. I don't know why on earth it didn't dawn on me at that time that it must be mustard algae but it didn't. DUH! Now here I sit 9 days after finishing my last slam with the revelation that I have the dreaded mustard algae. Grrr! I am totally onboard with the TFPC method and know that I am just still dealing with a previous problem. Here's my questions: 1. I had planned on people coming to swim on both Saturday and Tuesday so could I just brush and vacuum everyday until Tuesday afternoon and then begin my slam? I am embarrassed as all get out of the algae problem because I keep a super clean pool and always get so many compliments on it so I really don't want to be in the middle of a slam when they come. 2. When I do begin the slam process I know it is safe to swim in but what about the 24 hours after the slam when I bring the FC up to mustard shock level? I am assuming for sure that I can get in since it says to be brushing everything and vacuuming so much but what about my 8 year old kiddo?

Thank you all so much!

I had a mustard battle last year.

It showed up on the pool wall by the entry steps...yellowish color, scrubbed and huge clouds mixed into the water.

I knew what I had to do but chose to put it off til the next week which I had off from work (perfect time to slam)

So I maintained the chlorine levels for my cya and had guests over that weekend.

aka you should be ok to do that.

When you start the slam, you will be brushing the entire surface daily to break up any protection layer
on the algae and getting dead spores off the surface, while running the pump 24/7 to clear the white
clouds of dead algae that will come off. You keep the shock levels up and pump running til it's over.

It's not recommended to swim during this time.

Once the slam is done (meets the criteria of clear water, no overnight chlorine loss beyond .5 and
combined chlorine of .5 or less) and the free chlorine level dips below shock value, then swimming can resume.

First things first. Not to doubt you but do you have a pic or a really good description of your mustard algae? There is no point talking about it unless you are definitive about it.....almopst 90% of algae is misdiagnosed.

borjis - I had read on here somewhere that it is safe to swim up to shock level. YIKES! We were swimming the whole time I was slamming before.

duraleigh - I just went out and took some pictures. Luckily I haven't vacuumed or brushed yet today. I did yesterday so this is one day worth of growth.

Here is the link where I uploaded them to photo bucket. Feel free to let me know what you think. The hose picture is my over the wall mount skimmer. There are wrinkles in the bottom that I plan on fixing in the spring. http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/GinaLovesSummer/slideshow/

...It's not recommended to swim during this time...

only for safety reasons when you can't see the bottom on deep end due to cloudiness, not because of FC level.

- - - Updated - - -

I found it. Here's where I read that it was safe to swim up to shock level and if you can see the bottom. SLAM questions

do you pass OCLT now? It could very well be just a normal algae.

Hi, Gina,

I do not think that is mustard algae. I think it is simply regular dead algae. Mustard algae shows as a smooth, even, yellowish layer on the floors and most always the walls. You show clumps gathered in the bottom of the pool and that color and it's clumping habit is most always dead algae.

SLAM your pool. You must, brush, vacuum and keep the chlorine at SLAM value until your pool is crystal clear and you can pass the OCLT

I wonder why it keeps coming back. Both times that I slammed I was very careful to follow the directions. I brushed, vacuumed, skimmed, kept it at slam level until everything passed. I will do an OCLT tonight and in the morning and report back. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas on why it keeps coming back I would love to hear your feedback. I run my pump a minimum of 11 hours a day. Thanks for all of your help.

- - - Updated - - -

And of coarse during a slam I run it 24/7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wonder why it keeps coming back. Both times that I slammed I was very careful to follow the directions. I brushed, vacuumed, skimmed, kept it at slam level until everything passed. I will do an OCLT tonight and in the morning and report back. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas on why it keeps coming back I would love to hear your feedback. I run my pump a minimum of 11 hours a day. Thanks for all of your help.

- - - Updated - - -

And of coarse during a slam I run it 24/7.

please pay very close attention to CYA test as it is basis for the target FC level. We had multiple members reading it too low and then having similar problems

We generally advise that it is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA

Gina,

I'm in agreement with Dave that it looks like regular algae. Why does it come back? ........How do you chlorinate? 6FC is minimum with a CYA of 80. I suspect at some point it has dropped below minimum which opens the door for the algae party.

um I didn't say that...

no, I did- otherwise your statement was against commonly accepted practice here: other members enjoyed their pools during SLAM just fine, you don't need to put pool out of service for SLAM.
This is provided of course the previous history was sensible. I'm not suggesting to swim in pure swamp which was neglected for years- God knows what might be living there.

Hmmm...max2k - you've got a point! That darned black dot can play tricks. I have more R-0013 cyanuric acid reagent coming tomorrow. I will retest and see what I get tomorrow. AimeeH - I double checked my pool testing log and sure enough it looks like my chlorine dipped down to 4.0 one day and 4.5 two days. So in the words of AimeeH I've got myself an algae party! Lol! Thank you all so much I bet one or even both is the culprit. I will update tomorrow once my new reagent shows up. I feel so much better now at knowing what happened.

One more question. My buddies have a pool too and my husband made the observation that the first time my chlorine dipped low was the day after they swam at our house and their kiddo brings pool toys with him. I know for sure that they have an algae problem because I was watching their house and pool while they went out of town. Should I bump up the chlorine level when they come in the future and if so how much? Or should I have a new rule that all pool toys from outside sources roll through bleach with diluted water solution? Hoping I could just bump up the FC so that I can be discreet and not hurt feelings. They are being pool stored and I can't convince them to see the light on the TFPC ways.

One more question. My buddies have a pool too and my husband made the observation that the first time my chlorine dipped low was the day after they swam at our house and their kiddo brings pool toys with him. I know for sure that they have an algae problem because I was watching their house and pool while they went out of town. Should I bump up the chlorine level when they come in the future and if so how much? Or should I have a new rule that all pool toys from outside sources roll through bleach with diluted water solution? Hoping I could just bump up the FC so that I can be discreet and not hurt feelings. They are being pool stored and I can't convince them to see the light on the TFPC ways.

wow, sounds like religion related dispute :) Would they refuse even try? Anyway- just bump FC by 2 ppm after the party and I'm sure nothing will survive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.