Finally Broke Ground On It!! The Saga Continues.

We were considering building a pool almost 2 years ago. We got busy, had some family issues to deal with, and then dealt with Hurricane Michael. Luckily we did not get any damage. So now we are back in the market for a pool. Going salt water for sure.

What PB has come up with is an L shaped that is 16 x 34 from 3.5 to 6'.

This is the BASIC Package that every pool comes with.
Includes:
Permits
Excavation
6" Shotcrete pool shell w/3 steel 12" oc.
One row 6x6 Frostproof tile
One row 4x8 Bullnose Brick Coping
Two main drains, one skimmer, two pool returns & one pool cleaner outlett
One 1hp pump & one high rate sand filter
One Rainbow 320 chlorinator - Will NOT Be Using.
All sch 40 PVC
One set steps and one ladder or swimout
Marcite Interior of pool (blue quartz)
Vacuum & cleaning equipment
Start up chemicals
One 12volt LED white light

Options:

Automatic Pool Cleaner - Most likely will purchase on our own.
Salt System Yes, Yes, Yes
Three Deck Jets
Upgrade Variable Speed Pump - Yes VSP for sure.
Upgrade Cartridge System
Upgrade Pebble Plaster
Auto Water Level
Paver Pool Deck - Trying to decide whether to go Pavers vs Concrete
Concrete Removal

Last edited:
DJ,

Looks good so far... You need to get the actual brand and model number of the equipment you are getting..

Make sure your SWCG is rated for a pool that is at least 2 x the volume of your pool..

Get as big a filter as you can.. From the pics I see here at TFP, it appears pool builders in Florida like to put in little tiny dinky filters.. I have no idea why...

Thanks for posting and good luck with your new pool,

Jim R.

DJ,

Sounds like you've already got some good advice on the pool from experts here. My advice would be to read carefully the terms and conditions included in your PB agreement. Is there anything in the words that you don't understand or doesn't make sense to you? Often this part is ignored. If everything goes perfect this doesn't usually matter. But that's rare. Things do happen and then the words matter very much. You and your builder should be fair with each other onerous terms are a loser for both sides. But many builders have their agreement that works for them so the contract is very one-way to their advantage. You should focus on this as much as all the fun stuff of selecting your pool and have it built with all your preferences incorporated. Here are a few items to be especially on the look out for:
  • What is the builder's financial health? They should be able to demonstrate this at least with help of their bank.
  • Who does the structural design and what are the specifications?
  • What level of inspection is performed by the PB?
  • What are the payment terms? Payment for earned progress at easily discernible milestones is my preference. You basically want the builder to be a close to cash neutral as practical. There are people here that can help with this.
  • What are the warranty provisions? Exactly what does it mean that an item (like the structure) is warranted?
  • Are there terms that apply to you but don't apply to the builder, such as you indemnify the builder but they don't indemnify you? Or "time is of the essence" for the builder but not you?
  • How is weather dealt with?
  • Does the contract say the words "force Majeure" and if it does do you understand what this means and how it affects you?
  • What are the builders insurance limits?
None of these issues are deal breakers. I've just found that pool builders have lawyers that feel they must protect the builder at all cost with these agreements. If you have an issue with any of it this is a great time to bring it up. All really good constructors will be reasonable. None of these provisions are a must have or a never have. What is fair is that any of these provisions should create an obligation to both parties that is fair and equitable. For example, if "time is of the essence" for the constructor it should also be for you.

I'm not an attorney but I've managed a lot of construction and I've learned the hard way to get this stuff right up front. It will make everything about the job much more enjoyable for you and the builder if all this is agreed and understood up front.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I appreciate it but we are writing a check for this one. No bank involved. Not a big fan of financing stuff and paying interest. We know we are lucky we can do this, but we didn't get that way by accident. We've worked our tails off for years and years and saved.

We are very comfortable with the PB. We've done our homework and he has a very good reputation in the pool industry. Been in business for over 40 years and the owner is on site quiet often. His office is less than two miles from our home.

In fact he will tell you that when you first meet he is interviewing you as much as you are him and I will agree with that. Some people are not worth having as customers. Those kind will cost you money and drive you crazy.

Reactions: KaiBee
I appreciate it but we are writing a check for this one. No bank involved. Not a big fan of financing stuff and paying interest. We know we are lucky we can do this, but we didn't get that way by accident. We've worked our tails off for years and years and saved.

We are very comfortable with the PB. We've done our homework and he has a very good reputation in the pool industry. Been in business for over 40 years and the owner is on site quiet often. His office is less than two miles from our home.

In fact he will tell you that when you first meet he is interviewing you as much as you are him and I will agree with that. Some people are not worth having as customers. Those kind will cost you money and drive you crazy.

Congrats on your financial success, that is a huge accomplishment! Sounds like you've got a great relationship with the builder and that's good. I would also just say cash or financed, you'll still have an agreement including a payment schedule, warranty etc.

Good luck to you! And please do keep us posted. New pools are always fun "to watch" from here.

Chris

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Travertine Paver & Coping samples ordered!!!

12x16 shed moved in the back yard so equipment can get in.

Dang those tie down stakes were like in concrete and we live in a sandy soil.

HOA paper work all filled out and emailed in.

Funny but one of the board members a few years ago said ... if you get a permit from the city and code enforcement approves your plans, then how the heck can we as an HOA board say NO? ... You can't do that. He was absolutely correct then and I am pretty sure I'd use that argument should something ever arise.

well we are considering Silver Travertine since the house is a medium grey already. Coping we are looking at an Ivory or one that is a little lighter than Ivory. would love to go with a dark grey for the coping but did not want it where it would be so hot on your feet. pool will be in total sun most of the day.

not re-anchoring at this time. it will be moved back once we are complete with construction and re-sodding and whatever else goes on.

Also think about people wanting to sit on the side as well! Don't want to burn any fannies!

I love when the coping and decking are different colors. To me it really highlights the pool's shape!

Got ya about the shed and waiting to anchor it. So it will be a whole yard makeover! SWEET!

Kim:kim:

SO much right with that layout!!! LOVE IT!!

Here is an idea for safety. Some kind of light by the steps. I am thinking you could put it on the wall between the steps and were the number 3 is. It will not be centered on the wall so you don't have to worry about swimming laps and it being in your face or it getting kicked if you do a flip turn. OR it could be a pretty post light on the outside of the pool but in the area of the steps.

Speaking of lights. Make sure there is a light by your equipment pad. You will thank me the first time you have to go out there at night time for some reason.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.