final travertine question regarding pool builder & homeowner

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

We have a variety of diff travertine based stones installed by our PB: the coping, the pool waterline, the backwall and four columns and tops, the spa spillway into the pool and the 1200 sqft of decking is all travertine.

Question: is it customary for the PB to seal all of this stone before they leave, or is it that up to the homeowner?

Thank you very much,
tstex

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I don't think there is a "customary" way of doing that.

Sealing ore not sealing some or all should've been addressed prior to installation, I believe.

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
DFW, TX
I think generally if it isn't in the contract it isn't going to be done. I would say it is more customary not to seal the stone unless specified.

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I will have to agree w the both of you. We were originally going to get cool-deck, then switched to travertine pavers. This was a semi last thing we did. It did not occur to me to think of sealing the stone.

We have a lot of stone to seal, so I better get busy when the weather permits...thank you for your help - tstex

Merry Christmas to all and good health to you and all of your families...

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
We have a lot of stone to seal
The text of my post was slip-shod. Depending on where you live (freezing or not freezing), the stone guy may suggest not sealing it at all. Get some local opinions before you start to seal.

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks Dura - I just edited my profile - we live in Houston TX

Just had a lot of rain and a lot of the mud/dirt washed onto the travertine pavers...I need to spray this off so it does not penetrate and stain...what a total mess...