filter works?

elaesar

Apr 27, 2020
Greece
A week ago we bought from ebay a new 2500gph filter to replace the one that came with the pool. We intend to set up the pool for the summer in a couple of weeks. Is there a way to test the new filter if it is working without the pool?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Welcome to TFP.

What would you want to test in the filter?

You basically need to build a closed loop with a water source and pump to run water through the filter.

elaesar

Apr 27, 2020
Greece
I would like to know if it is working as it should or if it is defective. The closed loop with the bathtub filled with water to the brim didn't go so well. The filter was barely moving any water and that got me worried. There is a chance it didn't work because the water wasn't coming out the bathtub with the required pressure (if any) as it is happening when the filter is connected to the pool. The same method for testing worked great in the past with an aquarium filter. I think both filters work on the same principle (gravity).

elaesar

Apr 27, 2020
Greece
I'm not quite sure what you meant with your last post as i am not a native english speaker.

To help anyone having the same problem as i do, the answer is yes, you can test if your filter works using a filled bathtub. The reason it didn't work for me before was that i had not completely drain the air from inside the filter.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Good Job. :goodjob:
I understand what you were wanting to do and that was a good way to test it before installing it into the pool plumbing. All you need is some reservoir large enough to hold enough water to fill the filter and small amount of plumbing and have enough excess that you're not sucking air into the system and it will tell you if the pump (and therefore filter) are in working order. You used a tub, but a large tote would work as well.