Filter too small?

steeltowncpa

Apr 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello. I recently upgraded my 1 hp Hayward superpump with a variable speed Pentair 342001, 1.5 hp. I have an 18x36 around 25,000 gallon pool. My current filter is a Hayward perflex ec65, which I now see has a flow rating of 67 gpm. Now looking at this pump which has a flow rate over 100, I’m thinking I’m oversized. My pressure has been running over 20 so far which is much higher than it did previously. I’m guessing this filter isn’t large enough? Any filters that you could recommend I replace it with? Thank you.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
You have a VS pump. No reason to ever run it at full speed. You can set the max speed at 3000 rpm and will have no issues.

Most times you should be running it at 1200 - 1500 rpm, whatever is needed to close the flow switch on your SWCG.

Reactions: markayash

steeltowncpa

Apr 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you for the replies. If I did want to run it a full power. I assume a larger filter would be a good idea? I will keep it turned down most of the time but I have a slide that I was hoping this pump would power pretty strong.

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marietta Ga
I don't know a lot about DE filters but sounds like it maybe too small if you want a lot of volume for the slide.

I have a cartridge filter and I way oversized on purpose :)