Filter sucking itself in!

Mar 14, 2016
Fl
Hello,

My pentair sd80 filter appears to be sucking itself in. What do I do in this case?

Attachments

• 20190722_084022.jpg
    20190722_084022.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190722_192803.jpg
    20190722_192803.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190722_192813.jpg
    20190722_192813.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 15
Woah! How old is that? Sucking in usually means it is under vacuum. It should be under pressure. What does the pressure gauge show? Does it work? in either case, it needs to be replaced I do not believe you can salvage that. Solve why it happened first. Call Pentair perhaps.

Is water flowing through it to the pool?

How long has it been that way? When did that occur?

No pressure gauge on it?

What kind of pool do you have?
How far above the waterline is the filter?
What does it look like when the pump is running?
How long has it been like this?

It would take a pretty good bit of vacuum to collapse the filter body like that. It would have to overcome the vessel wall resistance as well as the sand that's in there.

Had the pool for 2 years. It happened at the very beginning after build, was replaced, and just again just now.

Filter is about 4-5 feet above water up a slope and on back of house.
Pressure gauge shows 20 but looks like its not working.

Been too afraid to run it again after I noticed this! Could it explode?

Could it be heat related ? I work for a utility and frequently work on the sides of customers houses. Depending on where the sun is in the sky it can be well over 120 degrees, even in the fall and spring. I’m in NY and can only imagine how hot it gets in the same situation in Georgia. It very well could be half melting the filter and collapsing it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had the pool for 2 years. It happened at the very beginning after build, was replaced, and just again just now.

Filter is about 4-5 feet above water up a slope and on back of house.
Pressure gauge shows 20 but looks like its not working.

Been too afraid to run it again after I noticed this! Could it explode?

This is the 2nd time this has happened? Do you have another (feature) pump downstream of this one? You are up on a slope but would need a significant amount of drop to create the amount of vacuum needed to implode a filter housing. I don't think it would "explode" but certainly it is compromised and the next step is the seal will break on it and it will leak badly.

Does the pump pot have water in it? Open it up and see if that releases the vacuum in the filter. I wouldn't run it again until you find out what the problem is. Add bleach daily and brush the pool after to mix it in so you don't go green.

Does this happen when the pump is on or off?

Is the filter getting hot?

Do you have a heater?

What is the water temperature?

You might be getting about 3 psi of vacuum when the pump is off, but I wouldn't expect it to cause the filter to collapse unless the filter was getting excessively hot.

That type filter is not very strong. For a replacement, I would suggest a TR-100 sand filter. It's a much stronger, fiberglass reinforced tank.

The silver sticker with the barcode should have a date. What is the date?

Last edited:
Does the pump pot have water in it? Open it up and see if that releases the vacuum in the filter. I wouldn't run it again until you find out what the problem is. Add bleach daily and brush the pool after to mix it in so you don't go green.

Thanks I was worried about it going green. I will open the pump strainer later and see what happens.

This is the 2nd time this has happened? Do you have another (feature) pump downstream of this one? You are up on a slope but would need a significant amount of drop to create the amount of vacuum needed to implode a filter housing. I don't think it would "explode" but certainly it is compromised and the next step is the seal will break on it and it will leak badly.

No other feature. I did add some water yesterday 1 hose for maybe 3 hours that about it that was out of normal.

That type of filter is designed for pressure, not vacuum. It's like a soda bottle. Under pressure it does fine, but under even a little bit of suction, it collapses.

I would not expect it to collapse at 3 psi of vacuum, but it seems that it does.

Maybe there's some reason that the vacuum is higher, but I can't see anything obvious.

In my opinion, you need to switch to the heavy duty TR-100.

See what Pentair says regarding the warranty claim. Maybe they will give you credit towards the TR-100.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.