Filter - replace part or entire filter?

gmason86

Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hey all,

Firstly - thanks everyone for the amazing advice here. I regularly look for information here :)

Unfortunately opening this season hasn't gone smoothly...

I have a Jacuzzi MFM Sand filter (inherited from the previous owners). When I was opening the pool and screwing in the pressure gauge, the plastic housing cracked and the thread appears to be stripped (I guess this can happen with plastic over time). Unfortunately repair attempts have not worked 100% so it has now come down to 2 options:

1. Replace the part, which unfortunately on this filter is the entire upper housing which also has the handle for the multi port valve. Price range seems to be approx $100 - $150 (canadian).

2. Buy a new filter entirely. Prices locally seem to be about $400 - $500 (canadian).

Just looking for any thoughts. No idea on the age of the filter but I think it has been there a while. My worry would be going for option 1, then a different repair next year or the year after and I soon find I may as well have bought the new one. But if that's unlikely, then maybe option 1 is better. I'm also not sure if new filters perform particularly better than older ones...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham.

I'd go for the repair option. No plumbing headaches that way.
Thanks.

What sort of plumbing headaches would you imagine with a total replacement? While not familiar with the process, I'd imagined reusing the existing pipes. Is that too hopeful?

Do filters typically last a long while? Like I said, my main concern is spending a reasonable sum of money getting the replacement part, then having to do more repairs. Or is it really only the top part that'd likely break (due to repeated use of the pressure gauge thread and the handle for the multi port) and the rest should all last a long time?

Wouldn't it be nice if they'd made the housing for the gauge threading metal :) I'd be temped, even with a replacement part, to add a brass extension anyway so it just stays in and I'm screwing and unscrewing the gauge into metal each year so less likely to strip the thread or crack it in future.

Thanks!

Graham.

Plumbing headaches are just because no two filters have the ports in exactly the same place. So you'll end up cutting and splicing and adding all sorts of elbows and such to get it to connect.

I have no idea what the lifespan is. And where I live, we hardly ever even see frost. Winterize? What's that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.